An Autumn morning around Rannoch Moor and Glencoe

thereyougo!

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like the cottage shot. It's tilted to the right a little though.

The landscape shots with the water are nice too. But the near shore with the rocks distract my eyes from the rest of the pretty scene. Maybe some crops would help.

Nice photos.

I like the cottage as well. But in the first two shots everything is so distant (The Black Mount), and in 5 & 6 at least 30% of the shots is tarmac compared to a narrow band of little hills. Stob Dearg (the end of the Buachaille Etive Mor) is a massive sentinal at the head of Glen Coe and Glen Etive, it's the road that normally looks tiny in comparison. It's a stunning view (see the film "Skyfall"), especially from further down at the Ski Centre entrance (where you shot the cottage), but you've shot mainly the road that I have to admit I have a thing against in landscapes. I'm really not trying to offend but offer some useful criticism, it's only because I know the spot so well that I know how imposing the view actually is. If you want to shoot it with a wide angle get a lot closer, the turning for Glen Etive is a good place.

This is just a few yards from the A82 at the turning to the Ski Centre:

Scotland - timtuckerphoto

Last edited:
Nice images. I particularly like 2, 3a and 4. My question is why I can see what appear to be "halos", or thin white lines, in these images, between the mountains and the sky. They are present at these high contrast edges in a number of places in every image, but seem to most prevalent in 1, 2 and 3a. They are often an artifact of post-processing and can result from a such things as over sharpening, and/or extra intensive use of such tools as the adjustment brush. You can check this reference - http://www.duncanfawkes.com/avoiding-halos/ - for what may be causing them in your images.

WesternGuy

I like the leading lines created by the road in #5

I like the cottage as well. But in the first two shots everything is so distant (The Black Mount), and in 5 & 6 at least 30% of the shots is tarmac compared to a narrow band of little hills. Stob Dearg (the end of the Buachaille Etive Mor) is a massive sentinal at the head of Glen Coe and Glen Etive, it's the road that normally looks tiny in comparison. It's a stunning view (see the film "Skyfall"), especially from further down at the Ski Centre entrance (where you shot the cottage), but you've shot mainly the road that I have to admit I have a thing against in landscapes. I'm really not trying to offend but offer some useful criticism, it's only because I know the spot so well that I know how imposing the view actually is. If you want to shoot it with a wide angle get a lot closer, the turning for Glen Etive is a good place.

This is just a few yards from the A82 at the turning to the Ski Centre:

Scotland - timtuckerphoto

No offence taken at all. Am always happy to consider constructive criticism and I take your point on the road.

Nice images. I particularly like 2, 3a and 4. My question is why I can see what appear to be "halos", or thin white lines, in these images, between the mountains and the sky. They are present at these high contrast edges in a number of places in every image, but seem to most prevalent in 1, 2 and 3a. They are often an artifact of post-processing and can result from a such things as over sharpening, and/or extra intensive use of such tools as the adjustment brush. You can check this reference - http://www.duncanfawkes.com/avoiding-halos/ - for what may be causing them in your images.

WesternGuy

I can only assume they are down to flickr compression as there are none when I look at the images in PSCC. I create images at 2048px for web use as I have been told that is the best resolution for Facebook and face book's compression algorithm is horrid.

I like the cottage shot. It's tilted to the right a little though.

The landscape shots with the water are nice too. But the near shore with the rocks distract my eyes from the rest of the pretty scene. Maybe some crops would help.

Nice photos.

Yes it is tilted very slightly, have checked in Lightroom...yes I know I should have checked before processing...

Here is another image across Loch Tulla, have cleaned up most of the stones and the shoreline after cropping in a bit...

Loch Tulla sunrise 2 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

I (attempted) to straighten the cottage a bit- also softened the focus and desaturated a bit, as the scene just seemed so .... ancient. Really fantastic image before I played with it. Probably did more harm than good, but kudos to you for a great eye.
house.jpg

Nice images. I particularly like 2, 3a and 4. My question is why I can see what appear to be "halos", or thin white lines, in these images, between the mountains and the sky. They are present at these high contrast edges in a number of places in every image, but seem to most prevalent in 1, 2 and 3a. They are often an artifact of post-processing and can result from a such things as over sharpening, and/or extra intensive use of such tools as the adjustment brush. You can check this reference - Avoiding Image Halos - Duncan Fawkes - Australian Landscape Photography - for what may be causing them in your images.

WesternGuy

I can only assume they are down to flickr compression as there are none when I look at the images in PSCC. I create images at 2048px for web use as I have been told that is the best resolution for Facebook and face book's compression algorithm is horrid.
Interesting. I had not thought about that as I have many landscapes on my Flickr site in colour, black and white, and infrared and have never noticed any problem with "flickr compression". As far as Facebook is concerned. I don't post images there, so I have no experience with whatever it does to an image. Regardless, I do not understand how posting an image on Flickr would produce a halo at the interface between the ground and the sky/clouds.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back