An awesome hike.. with a terrible accident

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I drove 3 hours yesterday to hike to a fire tower I’ve been meaning to visit. It was a gorgeous evening for a hike.

About 3/4 of a mile into the hike I came to the first view over the lake below, so I pulled my camera and tripod out of the bag and took this photo:

i-PCdqqtR-XL.jpg

I then continued hiking up the mountain, now with the camera and tripod over my shoulder. Shortly thereafter, I slipped and fell. My D500 and sigma 17-50 landed hard on the bedrock of the mountain. During the impact my camera created this wonderful piece of modern art:

i-rgtTtK6-XL.jpg

These would be the last two photos ever taken by that lens, because this also happened during the impact:

i-SKLwcWv-XL.jpg

i-Dtsqk2x-XL.jpg

Luckily the D500 was fine, and I also brought my 11-16 and was able to finish the hike and take these photos:

i-37XsnPK-XL.jpg

i-tjPkcWM-XL.jpg

i-79PXnmL-XL.jpg

i-fL2mKsh-XL.jpg

Overall an unfortunate series of events, but I still had an incredible day trip and I’m glad I went regardless of losing the lens.

The 17-50 was pleased that you went on and completed the outing. Sorry to see the damage, at least there was a photo, but the rights may belong to the rock that pushed the shutter button.

Oh, I hate to even look at that! not the scenery, you got a beautiful photo before the lens took a nose dive. Glad you weren't hurt. I've had a couple of lens disasters in hockey arenas, we must make such sacrifices for the sake of our photography!

Awwwww, sh** man, that blows! Thanks for the good post though.

Sorry to hear about the unICM. The last image here is really nice.

Ouch, I just hate it when that happens. I do hope you are insured.

Nice shots with the last lens left. I would hope that I can persuade you to number your images when you post more than one or two. Makes it a lot easier to refer to a specific image when commenting on it.

WesternGuy

is it wrong I really like the photo that your accident created?:D

Ouch, I just hate it when that happens. I do hope you are insured.

Nice shots with the last lens left. I would hope that I can persuade you to number your images when you post more than one or two. Makes it a lot easier to refer to a specific image when commenting on it.

WesternGuy

Insured? Of course. But this one isn’t even worth claiming unfortunately.. not expensive enough.

And I always number them when I’m posting for C&C and such, but this one was more for the fun of the story.

Glad to know it was insured, but a bit surprised it wasn't worth the claim. Glad to see you are taking it in stride.

WesternGuy

Great photos! The ones taken with the 11-16 (tokina? love that lens) seem a bit colder. Is that by intention or design? I've never noticed my tokina takes particularly cold images but I was just curious!

Great photos! The ones taken with the 11-16 (tokina? love that lens) seem a bit colder. Is that by intention or design? I've never noticed my tokina takes particularly cold images but I was just curious!

I wouldn’t attribute that to the lens so much as the changing light conditions. At that point the sun was mostly set behind the mountain and everything was lit by very cool diffused light coming through the very blue/gray sky. The more I look at these the more I think they’re too cool, however that’s exactly what I remember it looking like. It was almost eerie and unnatural feeling when I was there in person.

Most reactions

Back