And Beyond

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
I took a trip to the Oregon Coast at the end of July and took this shot.

Tech info: Taken on Canon Elan7, Velvia ISO100, I can't remember exact stats, but Lens was my 20-80mm. It's scanned from a slide, so there's the loss of quality there, but it came out pretty good, considering. I converted to B/W in photoshop.

I'm just wondering if you think a tighter crop on the right would improve the image?

Any other critiques are welcome, especially on the B/W conversion, I'm still trying to get good at that.

velv2.jpg

I would start by leveling the horizon line in the photo. It is tilting down heavy on the left side. Also try using the shadow and highlight feature or selective color; the white,neutral, and black to get your hues acrosss the whole grayscale gamut. Right know it seems to be a little dark in some areas, the shadow highlight feature will help bring out detail in the dark areas if you have one of the CS's to use. Also I would burn in the arch on top of the bridge a little bit so it doesn't wash out so much with the sky.

Great pic of the bridge and water it is just a little heavy on the shadows on the left side.

I like the shot, and although i know you went on a trip and your chances of reshooting are unlikely, i wish there was more repetition of the arches, not just the first two which are clearly visible. Maybe this doesnt make sense, but i think the arches down the bridge immediately get smaller after the first two because of your point of view. I would have liked to see the arches slowly progress to smaller and then meet the horizon, but i do like the mixture of the industrial looking bridge and natural elements, such as the rotting wood and water. and as for cropping on the right, i like the last little cluster of wood-things in the water, so i say dont

Most reactions

Back