Annie (who else!?)

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have taken some more images of my youngest, Annie. Using the 50mm f1.8 which has not left my camera for a month!

i am messing in PS some more...this time I went for a mono with predominantly white. I haven't deliberately tried to do High Key, but if that's what it is, then ok. I just liked the look of it when I finished. :)

Any genuine critique is welcome, good or bad. :)

Annie in White and Black 2 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Thank you.

I like it! Her eyes look gorgeous!

Bend The Light said:
I think I can get away with quite a lot as long as I get those eyes, eh?

Thanks

Probably! She's an adorable little girl. I do like the conversion though. I don't think it would work on every image but it works here!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my daughters eyes never look anything like that in pictures.

The white vignette really pulls your eyes to the outsides of the shot and it's not flattering with her eyes being so amazing. The eyes are a bit oversharp at this size, but if you were to print at full size I'd suspect they wouldn't be so oversharp. They'd probably be pretty great.

id get away fron the white vignette

Yes, I know what you mean, but not everyone dislikes it...but I will have different versions. :)

The white vignette really pulls your eyes to the outsides of the shot and it's not flattering with her eyes being so amazing. The eyes are a bit oversharp at this size, but if you were to print at full size I'd suspect they wouldn't be so oversharp. They'd probably be pretty great.

Thanks. I haven't tried a print yet, but we'll see. :)

I haven't deliberately tried to do High Key, but if that's what it is, then ok.
I wouldn't call this high key, per say. But it's very close to the 'over exposed, white vignette' look that is constatnly being mis-labbled as high key...all over the internet. So I'll let you off with a warning. :lol:

True high key is when you match the subjects's clothes/accessories to the bright background. But you still want to properly expose the photo.
High key should not be generally applied to an image that is just bright or overexposed. Example

As for the image, I'd suggest cropping a little tighter. You're already tight enough that you're not showing the edges/outline of her head...so take the strong points of the image (the eyes) and place them where it will make a better composition. In this case, I'd suggest that you could crop off the top of the image, so that her eyes are 2/3 or 3/4 of the way up from the bottom. Doing just that, by scrolling my screen, improves the image IMO.

Her eyes are definitely more defined than her hair this time. Makes me miss my son(Up in Warroad, Mn with the wifey visiting grandma and grandpa) and taking pictures of him. Can't wait to pick them up this weekend!

I haven't deliberately tried to do High Key, but if that's what it is, then ok.
I wouldn't call this high key, per say. But it's very close to the 'over exposed, white vignette' look that is constatnly being mis-labbled as high key...all over the internet. So I'll let you off with a warning. :lol:

True high key is when you match the subjects's clothes/accessories to the bright background. But you still want to properly expose the photo.
High key should not be generally applied to an image that is just bright or overexposed. Example

As for the image, I'd suggest cropping a little tighter. You're already tight enough that you're not showing the edges/outline of her head...so take the strong points of the image (the eyes) and place them where it will make a better composition. In this case, I'd suggest that you could crop off the top of the image, so that her eyes are 2/3 or 3/4 of the way up from the bottom. Doing just that, by scrolling my screen, improves the image IMO.

Thanks. i will take your suggestions into account. I intend to do more "in this vein" but will try to improve on what I have here. I didn't actually call it high key, someone else did, so I wasn't sure. Warning heeded! ;)

Cheers

Her eyes are definitely more defined than her hair this time. Makes me miss my son(Up in Warroad, Mn with the wifey visiting grandma and grandpa) and taking pictures of him. Can't wait to pick them up this weekend!

Thanks. Happy reunion this weekend. :)

Most reactions

Back