Another afternoon with the pied-billed grebes

squirl033

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Another trip to a local marsh today today to check on the baby pied-billed grebes... I've been watching these little ones for the past month as they've grown from tiny little clown-faced fuzzballs, and it's been very entertaining and enjoyable to watch their progress. Alas, I fear another of their number has fallen victim to foul play, or perhaps the foibles of cruel happenstance - I only saw two chicks the last couple of times I was there. There were four initially, and one was lost after about a week; it seems now a second chick has disappeared. *sigh* Life in the wild is tough on little grebes. But the two that remain appear to be thriving, and are nearly as big as mom, though she's still feeding them. They do love those weatherfish!

Dang, swallowed that eel whole. Great set.

Nice set i have seen a couple juvenile pie billed grebes at the different wetlands i go to

Dang, swallowed that eel whole. Great set.
Yeah, it's pretty amazing how much they can choke down... What I always wonder is where the heck they put it once they get it down their throats!
Nice set i have seen a couple juvenile pie billed grebes at the different wetlands i go to
Thanks, Zach. I've had the pleasure of watching these little guys virtually from the day they hatched... been very entertaining!
Very nice.
Always amazed at the size of fish birds can eat.
Thanks, Trevor! They do seem to be able to swallow some awful big catches!

Most reactions

Back