Another Big Camera Store Fails

Curious, what sort of business is this you are speaking of. Business like the granite counter business have not taken the same hit as the small electronics type business' due to the nature of the business. That has much to do with the current market for some types of businesses.
Having done granite countertops for over a decade In the mid 90s to late 2000s, I can honestly say that the industry HAS taken a big hit. When I started we were getting $200 per sqft for level 1 granite Installed. When I left the industry, many places were advertising $28 per sqft installed.

Sent via Synchronized Cardioversion

I would love to see an online mapping and install. Granted you can order about anything on the internet these days except personal service.

Our granite folks came out and took measurements with a laptop and hardware after putting on the proper markers to map not just the counter but the walls as well. When they slipped it in it was dead on perfect against the walls. There was less than 1/16th" of a gap anywhere along the walls of a 20 year old house.

Curious, what sort of business is this you are speaking of. Business like the granite counter business have not taken the same hit as the small electronics type business' due to the nature of the business. That has much to do with the current market for some types of businesses.
Having done granite countertops for over a decade In the mid 90s to late 2000s, I can honestly say that the industry HAS taken a big hit. When I started we were getting $200 per sqft for level 1 granite Installed. When I left the industry, many places were advertising $28 per sqft installed.

I would love to see an online mapping and install. Granted you can order about anything on the internet these days except personal service.

Our granite folks came out and took measurements with a laptop and hardware after putting on the proper markers to map not just the counter but the walls as well. When they slipped it in it was dead on perfect against the walls. There was less than 1/16th" of a gap anywhere along the walls of a 20 year old house.
The digital tech for templating wasn't quite refined back in my day. It was juuuust getting around to a few shops. I make physical templates out of strips of balsa wood. Fit like a glove when I installed it though. I mostly ran the bridgesaws and cnc machines.
In one of the shops i worked in the pieces were on pallets moved around from machine to machine by a robotic forklift that ran on it's own.

It was interesting to watch. The guy reported to me happily that our walls were some of the straightest he had ever see. What he wasn't able to tell us was that our cabinets when installed had be put in to accommodate granite. He advised that most times the builders/installers don't add the proper shims under the Formica counter tops to raise it up to the proper height of a granite top. The installers were surprised to find that when they pulled the old Formica counter top the found it was properly installed. Our granite slid in perfectly to the tile.

We had already bought new, updated tile so it wasn't a big issue, but it was nice to know our builder cared enough to do it right the first time.

I thought it was interesting how he layed most of the blame on retailers that do NOT collect state sales tax to buyers from states where sales tax is supposed to be payed. (I've spent most of my life in Oregon, which has ZERO sales tax, and where ballot measures seeking to estabklish a state sales tax have been voted down, reosunbdinbglky, somnething like 14 times, since 1933).

You beat me to the punch Derrel, I was going to make the same comment. How about the cities that jumped on the sales tax bandwagon, such that you now see combined state/city of up to 11% in our state. The norm is 10%. Compare that to a state rate of 4% and a county rate (in our county) of 1% and you quickly see where the problem lies. Cities have milked that cash cow to the point that people are fed up with it.

It was interesting to watch. The guy reported to me happily that our walls were some of the straightest he had ever see. What he wasn't able to tell us was that our cabinets when installed had be put in to accommodate granite. He advised that most times the builders/installers don't add the proper shims under the Formica counter tops to raise it up to the proper height of a granite top. The installers were surprised to find that when they pulled the old Formica counter top the found it was properly installed. Our granite slid in perfectly to the tile.

We had already bought new, updated tile so it wasn't a big issue, but it was nice to know our builder cared enough to do it right the first time.
Out of level cabinets and walls were the worst. Especially if we have to seam the stone somewhere. Older homes could be nightmares if everything was all skewed

It's a pity(((
Nowadays people prefer phone photos, especially Phone ones as a symbol of luxury life. Phone combines lots of functions and it's portable. No wonder, on the one hand it becomes more and more popular

Most reactions

New Topics

Back