What's new

Another Camera Thread. D3000 vs D60.

Atlas77

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
719
Reaction score
0
Location
Ottawa, Ontario
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, im finally going to buy a DSLR and figured I could sell my guitars and get a nice setup.

My plans were to get a D60 body and get some nice glass to go with it, but then the D3000 came out, and it looks like there is no difference in the bodies, the only thing i see is that the D3000 has easy functions.

The bodies are really close as in price also, which body should I get?
 
Last edited:
The D3000 is the eventual replacement for the D60.

Because the D3000 has more focus points I would say get it.
 
The D3000 is the eventual replacement for the D60.

Because the D3000 has more focus points I would say get it.

Thats what I though, might as well go for the new technology. The bodies are only around 80 bucks apart. And as for lenses I have no clue.
 
There's little reason to consider the old D60 unless there's a distinct price difference and the savings is important to you. There doesn't seem to be any downside to the D3000 and it has a much improved AF system.
 
There's little reason to consider the old D60 unless there's a distinct price difference and the savings is important to you. There doesn't seem to be any downside to the D3000 and it has a much improved AF system.

Its like an 80 Dollar difference in bodies isnt it? Not a big deal for me.
 
Both cameras can use pretty much any lens Nikon has made since 1959.

Some of those lenses won't AF or meter or both, but virtually all will work.

Only AF-S and AI lenses will AF on the D60 and the D3000.
 
Both cameras can use pretty much any lens Nikon has made since 1959.

Some of those lenses won't AF or meter or both, but virtually all will work.

Only AF-S and AI lenses will AF on the D60 and the D3000.

Well, I do need to find a lens. One of my first choices was the 18-105 (Nikon | 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor | 2179 | B&H) Maybe I should turn this into what lens to get?

My range is around 100-400$.

edit: I forgot the major thing, I want a pretty standard lens, maybe wide angle. something that would work well for a wide range of things.
 
IMHO you can go for the D3000 and get the new specs or you can get the D60 and modify it in order to fit into exactly what you want from it.

With the D3000 replacing the D60 you should be able to pick up the D60 for cheap and have some change to make the mods
 
IMHO you can go for the D3000 and get the new specs or you can get the D60 and modify it in order to fit into exactly what you want from it.

With the D3000 replacing the D60 you should be able to pick up the D60 for cheap and have some change to make the mods

Well, for me its an 80 dollar difference in bodies? im thinking thats not much more money for the new specs but it can be thrown into a lens.

I think im deciding on the body by going into the store playing with both of them and deciding. I think thats the best way to decide. Ill come back with which ever I like best.
 
I'd prefer the D3000's feature set over that of the D60. The 18-105 is a surprisingly sharp lens across its focal length range. It has some light fall-off at the edges, but that can be corrected in post processing. With Nikon, buying the newer model camera is almost always the right way to go, especially between models which are close in price. The update on the AF in the D3000 makes it an almost automatic choice over the now older D60.
 
I'd prefer the D3000's feature set over that of the D60. The 18-105 is a surprisingly sharp lens across its focal length range. It has some light fall-off at the edges, but that can be corrected in post processing. With Nikon, buying the newer model camera is almost always the right way to go, especially between models which are close in price. The update on the AF in the D3000 makes it an almost automatic choice over the now older D60.

For sure, I think I might take the D3000, still not sure on lens but I read reviews on the 18-105 and it seems like a good lens. Still not sure exactly, some sigma's and tamron's look nice.
 
uh yea never mind on the mega pixels lol i was thinking the d40 lol.
 
I went with the D3000 and havent looked back, love this camera!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom