Another CF card question

RainNotebook

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay. I have another CF question. (I know, I know.)

I decided to go with Sandisk because of the pricing and reputation. I'm looking to invest in about 3 cards. I was first looking at the 2 GB Ultra II. Then I check out the price for the Ultra III and found its having a good rebate.

However the more research I did ultimately I saw that the Ultra IV is having an AMAZING rebate making a 4GB cf card only 36.61 a piece. So what’s the question?

First off I'm reading that its for "high end cameras" and I'm wondering if my camera would be compatible? Or is that even an issue? I have a Canon Rebel EOS Digital XT.

And because this is a mail in rebate I'm going to be out of pocket for a couple months. I could probably afford it but is it worth it? (I would just wait to get some other things on my "wish list") I'm also comparing the features with the III and the IV but I'm not seeing a huge difference other than speed.

But another thing I'm wondering is if soon the technology will be out dated on the III and the IV is going to be current. Or is that even a consideration? Is there anyone with both of these cards?

I'm sorry for all these questions but I do want to make a good investment without being over the top.

I appreciate your information and advice!!!!

I was first looking at the 2 GB Ultra II. Then I check out the price for the Ultra III and found its having a good rebate.
However the more research I did ultimately I saw that the Ultra IV is having an AMAZING rebate making a 4GB cf card only 36.61 a piece.
Are you referring to the Extreme III and Extreme IV cards? As far as I know, the Ultra series only has the Ultra II.

They say that the Extreme series are better for extreme conditions, but I've never heard of any problems with other cards in extreme conditions. The biggest difference is the speed of the cards. The Extreme III and IV are faster than the Ultra II.

Now, keep in mind that it most likely won't make a difference while shooting. I use Ultra II cards and Extreme III cards and I don't notice a difference while shooting. The camera's buffer takes care of it when shooting short bursts or just single shots. A faster card will empty the buffer faster, but that's only an issue when you are shooting like a machine gun.
A faster card will also off-load faster and bring up the images on the LCD faster. I have some older 'lower level cards' and they drive me crazy because it takes so long to bring up the image when I want to review them on the camera's LCD.

The Extreme IV is also capable of crazy fast off load speeds...but only when used with the Extreme IV card reader.

So in conclusion, I like Ultra II cards but would go with Extreme cards if they are a good deal.

well i would pick Extreme CF cards because of their ability to operate in extreme temperatures (-13F - +185F) and of course they are fast. I bought a 4Gb Extreme III a few days ago for less than 45 US dollars here in Sweden so I am sure you can find even cheaper in the States try search on pricerunner.com and you'll probably find the lowest price available :D

Sandisk Extreme IV - isn't this require UDMA support?

No idea what that mean - faster? Just do not believe I've seen support for it on my 30D. Also, if you are looking at that Adorama one, it's a "mail-in-rebate" which personally, I hate more then the plague.

Your XT should be good with the Ultra II and Extreme IIIs.

imo - Extreme IIIs may be "overkill". Unless you are "pray and spraying", not sure the faster card will make a difference. Not sure of FPS on XT, but can't imagine it being higher then 30D or 40D.

Sandisk Extreme IV - isn't this require UDMA support?

No idea what that mean - faster? Just do not believe I've seen support for it on my 30D. Also, if you are looking at that Adorama one, it's a "mail-in-rebate" which personally, I hate more then the plague.

Your XT should be good with the Ultra II and Extreme IIIs.

imo - Extreme IIIs may be "overkill". Unless you are "pray and spraying", not sure the faster card will make a difference. Not sure of FPS on XT, but can't imagine it being higher then 30D or 40D.

I was looking at the Extreme IV cards before someone on here mentioned the UDMA thingy and I don't believe that my EOS 40D support that. hmm think XT got 3fps and 40D can shot in 6.5fps

I did mean Extreme... and thats pretty much the conclusion I came up with. I was hoping to hear I was right! Thanks :)

I said this in another thread: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1314436&postcount=4 <--It's not just about use in camera.

But +185F sounds like wishful thinking on ScanDisk's part. Aren't they plastic? Mine are. I have a whole stack of Extreme cards. I can't test them at 185F though as the camera refuses to operate well enough to take a picture at pretty much anything over 104F. :D

Last edited:
Not all plastics melt at 85C. Though I agree the camera would be a limiting factor and so would holding it :)

Hehehe, how about other dSLRs? I never noticed a problem before using this camera. But it does really start having problems in hot weather. I can squeeze a few off and then the software crashes - usually only if the Anti-Shake is turned on but still...

Are many other cameras like that?

Most reactions

Back