What's new

Sandisk CF Express cards & R5 MKII

Anc

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 7, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi i have just purchased an R5 MKii and have also purchased a Sandisk Extreme Pro type B 2 card and the reader. Some people have told me i have made a mistake
In buying this card/reader combination due to speeds etc and that i should go for a different brand and the type B 4 version card. I was lead to believe that the R5 will operate fine on the Sandisk because even if i went for a V4 card the Camera isn’t compatible yet to benefit from the tech.
I have always used Sandisk in my r6 mkii and previous cameras and have never had issues. I will not be shooting video and just wildlife which is my main subject.
I wondered if anyone uses Sandisk in there R5 MKII and could offer some advice please
 
Below are the 2 cards I use in my R5 Mkii

Lexar 256GB Gold Series Professional 2000x SD Card, UHS-II, C10, U3, V90​

Lexar 512GB Gold Series Professional CFexpress 4.0 Type-B ​

 
Last edited:
Below are the 2 cards I use in my R5 Mkii

SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I​

ProGrade Digital Memory Card - CFexpress 4.0 Type B 512GB​

Many thanks.
Would you not recommend using the Extreme Pro 2 256 GB card which i have. Taking into account that i only shoot photos and will not be using the pre capture too often. I am also not that fussed in regards to download time from the card to my Mac mini M4
 
I have used Sandisk Extreme for years with no problems ... :icon_santa:
 
I have used Sandisk Extreme for years with no problems ... :icon_santa:
Thanks Jeff.
I have always used Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards in my R611 R7 and never had an issue but have read
About the CF Express versions not so good which i found surprising but then again i am new to CF Express Cards
 
The most important thing is speed, get cards that are as high of speed as you can afford. Granted all cameras these days still cannot use CF 4.0 but that day is surely coming. BUT is does speed up downloading to your computer.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Anc
The most important thing is speed, get cards that are as high of speed as you can afford. Granted all cameras these days still cannot use CF 4.0 but that day is surely coming. BUT is does speed up downloading to your computer.
Thanks for the advice.
When cameras are able to use CF 4.0 do you think Cameras like the R5 MKII etc will be updated via Firmware to enable them or will there be a new generation of cameras that are CF 4.0
 
Many thanks.
Would you not recommend using the Extreme Pro 2 256 GB card which i have. Taking into account that i only shoot photos and will not be using the pre capture too often. I am also not that fussed in regards to download time from the card to my Mac mini M4
Yes i'm sure you will be fine. The speed only really comes into play when shooting high FPS and or Video.
 
Thanks for the advice.
When cameras are able to use CF 4.0 do you think Cameras like the R5 MKII etc will be updated via Firmware to enable them or will there be a new generation of cameras that are CF 4.0
I would like to think so but who knows.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom