Another Critique

whittley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just let me know what you think!

These werent snapshots, I made my wife and her friend model for me.
Using a Canon EOS Digital Rebel and the stock Flash.

4746.jpg

4747.jpg

4748.jpg

This has nothing to do with your ability as a photographer or your models... but on camera flash sucks for portraits. The lighting is flat, the shadows are harsh which brings out all imperfections and it makes the skin look shiny. It isn't flattering at all for your subjects. Try some natural light, like window light. Then use a reflector (or a sheet of poster board) to fill in the shadows.

voodoocat said:
This has nothing to do with your ability as a photographer or your models... but on camera flash sucks for portraits. The lighting is flat, the shadows are harsh which brings out all imperfections and it makes the skin look shiny. It isn't flattering at all for your subjects. Try some natural light, like window light. Then use a reflector (or a sheet of poster board) to fill in the shadows.

Ditto! Once you get more control over your lighting your photos will pop. We've got an external flash for our 10D and that works well when you're just looking for more casual pictures. Natural light is the best and with the reflector like Voodoo mentioned you can get some beautiful lighting to really flatter your subject.

Most reactions

Back