Another D300 vs. D700 thread

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I read all of the D300 vs. D700 threads, but I am still a bit torn. I'd like to upgrade to one of these from my D60, but I can't decide which body/sensor would best benefit me. I'm currently still in school, but I plan to eventually do wedding/portrait with wildlife/landscape on the side. So I have a pretty broad range of needs.

Based on my selection of future lenses, which do you think would best benefit me specifically? I'd like to still be able to use my 18-200 DX lens since I just purchased it not too long ago, and I have read that the 70-200 is better on a DX sensor, while the 14-24 is better on the FX sensor. The body I choose will also determine which lens I buy next, which is why I haven't focused on glass before the body. I'll probably buy them at the same time after I come to a decision.

Thanks!

If you really want to use your 18-200mm, buy a D300. I know you can use DX lenses on the D700, but that turns it into a 5MP camera. A D700 used as a 5MP camera with an optically not so good lens looks like a huge waste of money to me.

If you really want to use your 18-200mm, buy a D300. I know you can use DX lenses on the D700, but that turns it into a 5MP camera. A D700 used as a 5MP camera with an optically not so good lens looks like a huge waste of money to me.

I have been thinking about getting the D300 now, then wait until I get a FX body to get the 14-24 lens. I could get something like the 12-24 f/4 lens instead.

Anyone see any issues with this?

I have been thinking about getting the D300 now, then wait until I get a FX body to get the 14-24 lens. I could get something like the 12-24 f/4 lens instead.

Anyone see any issues with this?

Well, if you want to buy a FX camera in the future, why don't you buy the 14-24mm instead of the 12-24mm?

One of the drawbacks of the 14-24mm is that you can't use screw on filters with it.

In Thom Hogans D700 Guide, he says the 12-24mm f/4 lens will cover the FX frame from 18mm and up. I could do some comparison shots if you like of the 12-24mm on the D300 & D700 over the weekend.

One of the drawbacks of the 14-24mm is that you can't use screw on filters with it.

In Thom Hogans D700 Guide, he says the 12-24mm f/4 lens will cover the FX frame from 18mm and up. I could do some comparison shots if you like of the 12-24mm on the D300 & D700 over the weekend.

Just speaking for myself here... but please do.

In Thom Hogans D700 Guide, he says the 12-24mm f/4 lens will cover the FX frame from 18mm and up.

Then again, buying an expensive 12-24mm lens to use it as a 18-24mm lens does not make financial sense to me.

Then again, buying an expensive 12-24mm lens to use it as a 18-24mm lens does not make financial sense to me.
:lol:

True, but I got the 12-24mm when the D80 was my only body.

get the D300 now, and get the D700 w/14-24 in the future and keep your DX lenses and D300 as your 2nd/backup body.

Get the D300 now,this will allow you to use all your lenses, and over time as you add more, just get FX lenses.
When you are ready, just get whatever is current for Full Frame and keep the D300 ad your backup and Sell the D60.

i'm guessing by this time next year we'll have the D4 or whatever it will be called. you should save up for that.

Get the D300 now,this will allow you to use all your lenses, and over time as you add more, just get FX lenses.
When you are ready, just get whatever is current for Full Frame and keep the D300 ad your backup and Sell the D60.
:thumbup:

This is what I'm doing/have done.

Then you can also keep using your 18-200 on your D300 and still have a very powerful camera/lens combo. Odds are you'll just whip out the D300 whenever you need that lens and likely never take it off. (I have the 18-200 as well)

Another vote for the D300 now, wait for FF and build up your lens collection in the interim.

I've got 12 lenses and to the best of my knowledge, I only bought one lens after getting the D300 and one lens after the D700. So my little D80 was sporting some great glass long before upgrading the bodies.

D700, from everything you read from some people that have them there is no other way to take a quality photo these days unless you have one.

:D

Most reactions

Back