Another Firefox question

oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
My internet radio station won't play embedded in Firefox. Windows Media will play it fine separately, or fine through IE but not Firefox. Do I need a plugin or something to make it work? I hate having to open IE each time I want to open the radio, and I prefer to play it embedded, so that way I get the artist info...

I am on Win2000.

oriecat said:
I don't even know what that is. :|

its that tiny little flimsy hammer you use to hammer tiny nails into walls and really small stuff.

:lol: geez!!!! :lol:

md

From what I can tell they use coding that works only in IE to embed the player on the side of the browser. Are you clicking on the "listen (windows media player)" option? With IE it gives me a choice whether to embed the player on the side or launch the external player. Firefox only launches the external player.

Although all is not lost because if you choose the first option "listen (AudioRealm Player)" then it launches a popup window that has all the artist information on it. It will ask you to test your internet speed connection but if you already know it like cable, DSL, etc then just skip the test and manually choose it yourself.

After that it will give you the option to embed a player into that popup window or use the external version of Windows Media Player, etc. You also have to check only Windows Media Player or the other choice but not both and then click next. Here's where it gets a little tricky, so it might be good for you to try it while reading because it would make more sense this way.

I've tried this website on both Mac and Windows XP and it seems that on the Mac the embedding works but not on XP even with IE. That's probably because I had to manually install Windows Media Player in the past since it doesn't come installed with Mac computers for obvious reasons. :wink: Usually installing or reinstalling audio players will install the necessary plugins for all your internet browsers. Another factor is that my Mac has Media Player 9 installed while my XP has Media Player 8.

Anyway, if the embedded player doesn't work then click on the "launch external player" option at the bottom of the popup window. This will launch your audio player but will keep the Auralgasms popup window, which has all the artists info you wanted.

I know that might have sounded complicated but it's really not. It's a lot easier to try it out then to explain. :wink:

You totally lost me. :|

What I always do is click the AudioRealm one on top. In IE it works fine, but in Firefox the media player never fully loads (it's all kinda gray). If I click on the media player option, then media player just opens and it works fine too, but without the artist info.

I guess I will just resign myself to having to use IE for it, so I can just use the embedded popup. Oh well *shrug* :|

oriecat said:
What I always do is click the AudioRealm one on top. In IE it works fine, but in Firefox the media player never fully loads (it's all kinda gray). If I click on the media player option, then media player just opens and it works fine too, but without the artist info.
Okay, now that I know what you do it's a little easier. I do the same thing and it works for me on my Mac. The funny thing is that it doesn't work on Windows XP for both Firefox and IE. My guess is that you probably have to reinstall Media Player or install the new version Media Player 9.

Another choice is that on the popup window you can click on the "launch external player" link at the bottom. It launches the external player but keeps the popup window with all the artists info.

Anyway, I don't know why it doesn't work for you because it works embedded for my Mac and Firefox.

So on your mac it works in Firefox, but on XP it doesn't work in either? Weird. I am on XP here at home and Win2k at work and neither work for Firefox and both work for IE.

We have Media Player 9 here.

I just decided to try using my mp3 player instead, it doesn;t work embedded either, but works external. Sounds better too. But no info. I don't really want to have to use two windows just to listen and get the info... Hmm decisions....

oriecat said:
So on your mac it works in Firefox, but on XP it doesn't work in either?
Yep, that's about the gist of it. It works perfectly on my Mac and Firefox, so I don't believe it's a Firefox issue.

After hearing that you have Media Player 9, I believe that it does require 9 in order to work since my XP has version 8. My best guess it that you don't have Media Player 9's plugin for Firefox. Since Media Player is a Microsoft product its plugin is automatically installed into IE.

You can try to reinstall Media Player 9 and make sure to check Firefox if it ask you to install a plugin. If that doesn't work then I have no more guesses for you. Sorry. I gave it a try. :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back