Another Forum Bites The Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like a mix of online forums like this one for discussion and photo sharing and Facebook groups.
Same here. I learned a lot from some of the oldies on TPF, sadly many of them are no longer on here. I've moved past posting for ego stoking, so the only thing I really post on FB are family pictures anymore. Haven't done much on here of late as other things have tugged me in different directions. Sadly the level of critique on TPF has waned, I'd hoped that the C&C Gallery might draw more interest, but that's a subject for another thread.

Same here. I learned a lot from some of the oldies on TPF, sadly many of them are no longer on here. I've moved past posting for ego stoking, so the only thing I really post on FB are family pictures anymore. Haven't done much on here of late as other things have tugged me in different directions. Sadly the level of critique on TPF has waned, I'd hoped that the C&C Gallery might draw more interest, but that's a subject for another thread.
Most of my portraits are family and friends. I post those on FB and not on my Flickr page. I have a few FB friends that take nature photos and it is interesting to see their photos.

The C&C that was on this forum was very helpful. When I first joined I knew nothing about photography and learned just by reading the C&C. What I would do is look at the photo posted and try to guess what the experts or seasoned photographers would point out before I scrolled to their posts. That was also back when locked threads happened daily ;) It seems the seasoned portrait photographers are no longer on here.

That was also back when locked threads happened daily ;) It seems the seasoned portrait photographers are no longer on here.

That and moderators earned their pay when tempers flared.😁

I still see some on here occasionally and I talk to some off forum. Seems most are starting to see business coming back post pandemic.

People move on from online forums for a lot of reason - they get bored, annoyed, busy, hurt feelings, change hobbies or focus, outgrow the advice being offered... some leave in a huff over something another member says or does, or get banned from the forum for their aggressive behavior.

• Agree
Reactions: cgw
Photography forum - Photography-forum. org, is shutting down Sept 1st, after 15 years. They cited a big drop in sponsorships, paid memberships, postings and increasing high cost of hosting as the reason. They went to a Face Book page and suprisingly saw a dramatic upswing in the activity by members many who hadn't been on in years. Sign of the times?????
Photography forum - Photography-forum. org, is shutting down Sept 1st, after 15 years. They cited a big drop in sponsorships, paid memberships, postings and increasing high cost of hosting as the reason. They went to a Face Book page and suprisingly saw a dramatic upswing in the activity by members many who hadn't been on in years. Sign of the times?

With all social media there's an ebb and flow, as circumstances and interests change. Added to your list, you need "a varied mix of image genre postings" to keep things interesting. We live in a "click and scroll" world where unless something piques our curiosity we quickly move on. Its sad, but a good spirited argument really draws out the comments.

Finally, I view forums as a "place of learning". Social media like FB is a place where people post to stoke thier ego. Likes, nice shot, and good job seem to be the majority of responses. IMO forums "should" be a place of learning where critical reviews provide another set of eyes to guide us. TPF was like that at one time, you didn't ask for critique unless you were thick skinned, but you learned in the process, over time it's become less so. Many of the knowledgeable photographers willing to help are gone, and a large section of the current members are either unwilling to spend thier time commenting, they're uncomfortable doing so, or don't feel qualified to do so. Photograpy-Forum fell somewhere in between, there was a lot of clique stoking egos, and the occasional valid critique.
I am on a number of FB sites usually fairly narrow targets. Several camera sites have been invaluable to quickly get an answer why a 20 or 40 yr old camera is giving me fits. I struggled with printing til I found one site that transformed a dreaded struggle to the point I don't bother to do a test print on a $7 piece of paper as now my prints match my monitor... in spite of those that say it can't. After decades on these sites, I take the time to try to help because many years ago, an on line guy took the time with me and help transform my work. Now, these days with youtube having 10 videos for just about any question you have... 8 from folks who don't have a clue about their new purchase or want to show you taking it out of the box? What is that about? But unlike 20 years ago, there are plenty of resources only a few clicks away. Back in those days, Kelby was pretty much unchallenged as the photo instruction business grew, partially because pros were making less taking photos. For me the FB sites that allow posting has some great images, but on sites dedicated to one camera, less than photos of the camera all the views already have.
Most of my portraits are family and friends. I post those on FB and not on my Flickr page. I have a few FB friends that take nature photos and it is interesting to see their photos.

The C&C that was on this forum was very helpful. When I first joined I knew nothing about photography and learned just by reading the C&C. What I would do is look at the photo posted and try to guess what the experts or seasoned photographers would point out before I scrolled to their posts. That was also back when locked threads happened daily ;) It seems the seasoned portrait photographers are no longer on here.
It seems the seasoned portrait photographers are no longer on here? I am a professional portrait photographer who like Smoke had my work taken to new levels by others. It's why I'm here, to pay back for the instruction and encouragement I got decades ago on similar sites and great photographers that took the time to critique my work. I have won and judged professional competitions and was appointed to head the mentor program for PPA in northern CA so have a clue about portrait photography and don't know what C&C is but would be glad to pass on my thoughts on images. I promise my critiques would be constructive and gentle. I well understand the courage it takes to put your images out there for critique. I have had my work critiqued by folks that charge 50 grand for a wedding. I can relate. I believe getting solid critique is the best way to improve your work Because you don't know what you don't know. Remember, critique is subjective and be true to your vision, critique is just suggestions, not rules. I can't recommend highly enough joining a local club that critiques members images every month. You will start seeing that there are common problems with images over and over and next time you look through the viewfinder, you will spot and eliminate them. I don't look around this site much and just noticed the People area. Just posted a critique for a great ambient light portrait Smoke did. I'll try to remember to look at that area and try to contribute. And remember, photography should be fun.

Criticism & critique is fine for those who cannot think for themselves and just want to copy others. You see it all the time in the various forums,

People move on from online forums for a lot of reason - they get bored, annoyed, busy, hurt feelings, change hobbies or focus, outgrow the advice being offered... some leave in a huff over something another member says or does, or get banned from the forum for their aggressive behavior.
Yup. I get particularly weary of posters who tout their "qualifications" in nearly every post/response here. Tiresome and needy.

It is indeed a joke when folks post their digital images and pretend they mean something.

Yup. I get particularly weary of posters who tout their "qualifications" in nearly every post/response here. Tiresome and needy.
Here is an another example on display why forums are dying. They become a haven for unhappy people who think they can call others names while hiding behind their keyboards. This is the second time this guy cgw made nasty comments to me. Nasty, read them. People get tired of folks like this and leave including others not attacked who are put off by the tone. The last time, he was snarky and said I don't post photos implying my work sucks. A direct, personal attack. I posted several and not only he didn't comment or show his work, he ran and hid under his desk. Silence. Here. a lady said there were no seasoned portrait photographers to lend critique. I explained I was "seasoned" and offered to help. In response, this guy either can't read or is just a nasty person and again made a nasty comment. The op wondered why forums are dying, this is one of the reasons. If moderators don't stop them, it drives people away.
But today, 2 of these Walters show up and Razky chimes in with critique is for people who can't think for themselves and want to just copy. Another insult and is misleading for newbys. Here's a clue, pal, folks that learn the principles can then really create drawing on the techniques in their own way. Some guy named Picasso spent years mastering classical painting before he created his amazing work. You may have heard of him. And digital images don't mean something? Probably true for these 2 guys, especially if you don't master the craft, but there is plenty of work out there that is powerful and meaningful. I find these snarky morons tedious. There are people here who will be reluctant to post their images for critique because they fear nasty comments. Again, another reason folks go elsewhere. I learned of the people section from this thread and posted a critique of a great photo by Smoke. It had POSITIVE, CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions, not ridicule or snark. And I'll bet these keyboard cowboys would NEVER say such snark to someone's face. Just like the punks sucker punching little old ladies in our cities, they are miserable cowards and sadly, they know it and it only makes them more miserable in their loser lives. I respond to these snarky comments because I stopped giving a pass to people who attack me or others long ago and as usual, I expect they will cower under their desks.

Wow. Your list is getting tested today. 😁

Wow. Your list is getting tested today. 😁
smoke665,

Believe me TPF is a very very pleasant place. Owner, admin & mods are very polite and user-oriented.

I would not be surprised if it will be get more new users in the future as they aren't needlessly hostile.

One AU photo forum I started visiting again at the same time as TPF was ultra unpleasant so I decided to

- delete my saved password
- delete my bookmark
- delete my cookie

so I do not have to be reminded of them.

But before I did I looked over their user/membership activity stats that was publicly displayed and their all time high activity less than a decade ago is a fraction of what it is today.

Sure fire way for a forum to die if the "elders" are unpleasant to the newbies and drive them away towards Facebook.

Here is an another example on display why forums are dying. They become a haven for unhappy people who think they can call others names while hiding behind their keyboards. This is the second time this guy cgw made nasty comments to me. Nasty, read them. People get tired of folks like this and leave including others not attacked who are put off by the tone. The last time, he was snarky and said I don't post photos implying my work sucks. A direct, personal attack. I posted several and not only he didn't comment or show his work, he ran and hid under his desk. Silence. Here. a lady said there were no seasoned portrait photographers to lend critique. I explained I was "seasoned" and offered to help. In response, this guy either can't read or is just a nasty person and again made a nasty comment. The op wondered why forums are dying, this is one of the reasons. If moderators don't stop them, it drives people away.
But today, 2 of these Walters show up and Razky chimes in with critique is for people who can't think for themselves and want to just copy. Another insult and is misleading for newbys. Here's a clue, pal, folks that learn the principles can then really create drawing on the techniques in their own way. Some guy named Picasso spent years mastering classical painting before he created his amazing work. You may have heard of him. And digital images don't mean something? Probably true for these 2 guys, especially if you don't master the craft, but there is plenty of work out there that is powerful and meaningful. I find these snarky morons tedious. There are people here who will be reluctant to post their images for critique because they fear nasty comments. Again, another reason folks go elsewhere. I learned of the people section from this thread and posted a critique of a great photo by Smoke. It had POSITIVE, CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions, not ridicule or snark. And I'll bet these keyboard cowboys would NEVER say such snark to someone's face. Just like the punks sucker punching little old ladies in our cities, they are miserable cowards and sadly, they know it and it only makes them more miserable in their loser lives. I respond to these snarky comments because I stopped giving a pass to people who attack me or others long ago and as usual, I expect they will cower under their desks.
So my opinion differs from yours - I would apologize if I was sorry. At least, unlike you, I have attacked no one, nor do I desire to do so.

Last edited:
So my opinion differs from yours - I would apologize if I was sorry. At least, unlike you, I have attacked no one, nor do I desire to do so.
It isn't differing from my opinion that's the issue, it's slandering people who want critique, just like the poster above. You insulted anyone who wants to learn from their work. And I attacked no one, I RESPONDED to attacks and insults addressed to me and others that were made for no reason. Telling everyone here their work is meaningless isn't an attack or insulting? Saying people are fools who want critique isn't an attack or insulting? If you didn't mean it as such, fine, but read your post and put yourself in the shoes of someone asking for critique or who works to make meaningful work and ask yourself if you feel insulted or attacked.

It isn't differing from my opinion that's the issue, it's slandering people who want critique, just like the poster above. You insulted anyone who wants to learn from their work. And I attacked no one, I RESPONDED to attacks and insults addressed to me and others that were made for no reason. Telling everyone here their work is meaningless isn't an attack or insulting? Saying people are fools who want critique isn't an attack or insulting? If you didn't mean it as such, fine, but read your post and put yourself in the shoes of someone asking for critique or who works to make meaningful work and ask yourself if you feel insulted or attacked.
Go troll someone else!!

Go troll someone else!!
Ever notice how some accuse others of what they are doing? You know, like insulting people a couple times then when called out accuse others of trolling? The hypocrisy of some folks knows no bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back