Another "how'd they do that" thread

thenikonguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
almost looks like a mix of cross processing and sepia tone. i like it too though. quite neat!

almost looks like a mix of cross processing and sepia tone. i like it too though. quite neat!

he explained to me a while ago how he did it, but, i didn't save the process in lightroom, and i feel like an ass asking him again.. i think its really neat.. obviously not for every photo, but can really give a neat look to an onslaught of subjects..

i just did this real quick:

sepiacross.jpg

...not quite the same, but i was curious if something as simple as putting a brown layer over the image and playing with the blending mode would give a similar effect. i tried several different blending modes, and got some really interesting results!

that has a mega 60's feel... not quite the look I'm trying for though

different blending modes produced way different results. maybe give it a try with each of them to see if they provide you with what you're looking for? maybe try differing opacity levels of the top brown layer too *shrug*.

i did like what i found while playing around quickly...may use it on my next set of pics! :)

so was just playing through my lightroom filters and turns out I have something similar... would still be cool if someone could figure out the effects for me though..

20090908-1uhixyjb1t3shkctrmkeer5mb8.jpg

looks like that one lacks color, and in your examples it seemed like some of the color was in tact, albeit with a brown tint.

looks like that one lacks color, and in your examples it seemed like some of the color was in tact, albeit with a brown tint.

good point... i'll have to play around a bit more.. but its getting close!

hmmm the first one looks like a HDR edit filtered with some type of brownish tint. looks flat so in photoshop you can get the flat look by increasing your Gamma or Offset in the exposure tool.

The second one is also in a brownish tint and a flat finish. Again you can mess around with the Gamma or offset in the exposure tool to get that 60's or 70's look.

I wish I had his SOOC shots so I can mess around with it to make sure but that's what I suspect..

played around some more and got this...

sepiacross2.jpg

i added a brightness/contrast layer and jacked the contrast all the way up and the brightness +75. i then put an even darker brown over top and set the blend mode to 'Color'. its getting closer i think...not sure. either way you've prompted my playing around with doing these weird things and its turning out some VERY neat stuff. im so using this in the future! haha! :D

you'll have to save it as a action.. sounds like its a lot of stuff to do!

luckily its easy enough to remember! :)

im still playing with it. have duplicated the background layer and set to overlay so it over emphasizes everything, and playing around with brightness/contrast and different modes of that brown layer. definitely seeing a ton of that 60's look coming out. i think it compliments these skating shots i took sunday quite well (especially with most of them dressing as they do). :)

too much fun. :)

I would imaging it's something you could do with a free downloadable action for Photoshop. I have a whole slew of color actions that do that type of edit.

Most reactions

Back