another IF....

mmmm, I'd probably be happy slumming about with Lumi in the 60's....we'd be a force to be reckoned with, I'm thinking. ;)

A close second would be in the latter 19th century when you could see a *new* play by Oscar Wilde, and the camera was evolving. Granted, I'd miss indoor plumbing, but it would be a hoot for a little while.... :)

i think i'd like to have lived in alexandria, somewhere around 80 b.c. cleopatra was one hot chick- woulda loved to have met her.

although i must say, the vision i get when i think of terri and lumi together anywhere and anywhen is awful compelling- if i could tag along with them, i'd give up the chance to meet cleo in a heartbeat :wink:

If I had to be me, I wouldn't want to live in any other time (altho a short visit to some could be cool), mainly due to the status of women in almost all other times except our own. I would not want to be forbidden from speaking, thought of as the property of a husband or father, not allowed to vote or wear pants, etc etc... well maybe I could go be a druid or something, I dunno...

oriecat said:
If I had to be me, I wouldn't want to live in any other time (altho a short visit to some could be cool), mainly due to the status of women in almost all other times except our own. I would not want to be forbidden from speaking, thought of as the property of a husband or father, not allowed to vote or wear pants, etc etc... well maybe I could go be a druid or something, I dunno...
What woman wouldn't want to be treated like property? ;)

That reminds me of an ex-girlfriend
We were having this exact discussion and she mentioned she would want to live in the 1700's or something... The other girls at the table brought up your point and my ex says "I've been in an abusive relationship before, it's not that bad"
We weren't together much longer.

voodoocat said:
oriecat said:
What woman wouldn't want to be treated like property? ;)

That reminds me of an ex-girlfriend
We were having this exact discussion and she mentioned she would want to live in the 1700's or something... The other girls at the table brought up your point and my ex says "I've been in an abusive relationship before, it's not that bad"
We weren't together much longer.

:lol:

md

i'm gonna bring my own topic off thread, but what the hell-

did you guys know the origin of the title "Mrs.," you know, as in Mrs. Brady for example?

it is actually the possessive form of Mr.

in other words, "mister's" woman. over time, the apostrophe was dropped, and we have today's Mrs.

but, there were many civilizations in history where the women ruled the society, and men were the subordinate sex...

Such as... ? (Not disputing it, just curious! I know there are still tribes in Africa where it's true...)

Thanks for the info Tobes, I've always wondered where it came from, since it obviously isn't an abbreviation of anything... one more reason I will never be a Mrs... now the question is, how the heck did it come to be pronounced how it is?

Ms Orie 8)

yup- northern africa around the time i was talking had at least 2 such societies, i forget their names but i'll find them and post em when i do. in the meantime:
egypt
iroquois indians
amazons
matrons
nagovisi (so. pacific)
machinguenga (peru)

all had/have a form of matriarchal society

I think I would like to live at the end of the world. This way you would be able to read about all the interesting things that have happened throughout time... er.. well assuming there was still a recorded history of humanity... and maybe some Discovery Channel and TLC style programs to help get me through the boring bits. Alright you know what, screw it. I just want to sit in my lazyboy in the present and have the cast of the Canaidan show called "History Bites" to act out all the interesting bits from the past, and future. Just give me some nice condensed history in sketch comedy format. I'm too lazy for this theoretical time travel stuff.

Most reactions

Back