Another Lens Dilemma

Sherm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am looking for a new wide angle, fixed aperture, zoom lens. Will use mostly for indoor family/kid pictures. I have narrowed my search to the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (not sure about new VC model) or the Canon 17-40 f/4 L series. I am looking for better light without the need for a flash indoors.

Will the smaller Canon aperture be made up by the quality/speed of the L series? The build quality and re-sale value are not very important to me.

I am leaning towards the Tamron because of the increased reach and wider aperture.

Future camera upgrade will be crop sensor.

Thanks for the help.

Sherm

I would buy the Tamron both for its faster aperture, but also for its slightly wider focal length range. Indoors, an f/4 lens is still an f/4 lens...the Tamron has established itself as a very good choice for APS-C sensor cameras, fairing pretty well against both Canon and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 competition. For indoor family/kid pics, the extra 10mm will help quite a bit in narrowing the background angle. 40mm and 50mm are actually reasonably "different" focal lengths...every mm counts in that zone between 35,40,45,and 50mm.

You Know, I wonder why everyone is leaning toward the tamron. The sigma 17-50 f2.8 has received high marks from online reviews and the mtf results are off the scale at lenstip.com. I mean, you have the os and the silent hsm. My only complaint based on what I have seen is the focusing scale isn't behind a glass window. Instead they are markings on the exterior of the lens. Also, I've heard reports of the lens hood being loose.

Thank you both. As for the Sigma, I have not completely ruled it out but the local shops I use don't carry Sigma in stock and as a beginner, I like the help they provide.

In my experience, tamron is a more consistent and reliable brand than sigma.

If youre shooting indoors, id suggest a fast prime, f2.8 isnt all that fast indoors.

You need 2.8 for kids moving indoors. Would not recommend the 17-40.

Edit: I'd actually recommend a good flash. The 17-40 is great when pared with a bounced flash.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If youre shooting indoors, id suggest a fast prime, f2.8 isnt all that fast indoors.

^ This

I'd suggest either the Canon or Sigma 50mm f/1.4. The debate goes back and forth about which is actually better, but either would serve you well for indoor portraits. The problem arises if 50mm isn't wide enough for you...

^ This

I'd suggest either the Canon or Sigma 50mm f/1.4. The debate goes back and forth about which is actually better, but either would serve you well for indoor portraits. The problem arises if 50mm isn't wide enough for you...

Personally, I think 50 on a crop is too long to use indoors chasing kids (unless you have a huge house).

^ This

Personally, I think 50 on a crop is too long to use indoors chasing kids (unless you have a huge house).

I second that. I have T2i and 50mm f1.8. I am buying Sigma 30mm f1.4 just for that reason. If I like the 30mm's focus, IQ, and perspective, I will probably get rid of my 50mm f1.8 mk1 and buy instead a 85mm f1.8 lens down the road.

I have been using my Canon 50mm f1.8 but in a tight room it's not always easy to reposition and frame the shot. Will definitely go for a zoom now and in the future consider one of the primes mentioned

I have been using my Canon 50mm f1.8 but in a tight room it's not always easy to reposition and frame the shot. Will definitely go for a zoom now and in the future consider one of the primes mentioned

Sherm -

I was in the exact same situation (almost) that you are in. I had a 50mm prime (Sigma - see the post I just made about focus problems... :er:), and I needed something wider for indoor family, kids, etc. I ended up getting the 24-70L f/2.8, and I can tell you that even with 2.8, I'm usually reaching for my flash to get the shot. When I really don't want to use flash, I have to put the 50mm 1.4 back on.

So, as someone else mentioned, definitely don't got for the f/4 is you are planning on using it indoors.

Most reactions

Back