What's new

Another light painting study

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Sep 3, 2013
Messages
5,520
Reaction score
1,866
Location
Appleton, WI
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was taking some Milky Way shots and decided to light paint the wife's car while I was at it, trying to perfect the method for potential clients. How did I do here? What can I do better? And what's the name of that noise reduction program everyone talks about? Thanks everyone.

A Mini kinda night by longm1985, on Flickr
 
Hot, semi-nekkid supermodel (Candice Swanepoel would be my person pref, although others might like a brunette) posed by the door of the mini would realllly go a long ways toward making this a desktop photo for me...

The noise-reduction app is called the ON/OFF button. Simply press until each device is in the OFF position. Reallly cuts down the noise. Works great on TV's, stereos, and computers too. But please, do read the manual.
 
Thanks-that's exactly what I was going for, actually. What I love about doing this is that it only requires $10 in lighting equipment. It's kinda "urban engineered," which I think is why I love doing it :lol:

Derrel, the only model I had available was hairy old me. I can do it if it helps. Should I wear a denim thong thing? Would that help? :mrgreen: OK now I'm kinda nauseous at the thought of looking at myself in a thong....
 
Quick observation.
Would it help if you backlight (walked around it from the back with the light) the top and rear a bit to separate it from the background? As the top is black and kind of melds with the background.
 
Quick observation.
Would it help if you backlight (walked around it from the back with the light) the top and rear a bit to separate it from the background? As the top is black and kind of melds with the background.

I would agree with that-the top kinda blends in. I'd like to see 1)more "star" exposure level...just "more stars" and 2)a bit less spill light around the car and 3) a very subtle definition of the interior of the car.

I expect a guy could spend all night long on this kind of a shot, refining it and balancing this or that. It's not a bad shot. it's pretty decent. I think though that the car and the bark chips around it seem a bit too bright, with all that blackness...maybe just burn the light down, and darken it? maybe that'd create a bit more of a nocturne feel to it? Because it feels like the exposure imbalance between the star aspect and the flash pop aspect is too much in the forefront. The car area is just too bright for the rest of the scene, I think.

Now, about you, and the subject of thongs....never,ever,ever gonna be able to get that mental image out of my mind!
 
To get more stars, should I just leave it open on bulb for a while before I run over and "paint" the car? Or should I leave it open after?

For a few shots I did actually run around the car, but somehow managed to get too many reflections in the windows to make them usable. Shame on me, I know.

I would also like to mention cloning out the light traces on that gradient in the background SUUUUUUCCCCKKKKSSS.

Don't worry, I don't have any thongs yet, but watch for me in the People section and I'll be glad to oblige in the future. :mrgreen: :lol:
 
Interesting about the stars
I'm sure Derrel could help .. my initial thought is use a GND upside down with a longer exposure. Then pull it off and do the flashlight on the car bit.


man ... I gotta try this now !!
 
Hmm... well, if the moon's not out, I could easily get the stars even without the GND so long as the car's not lit at all. Last night, the moon was out, so the GND probably would have been pretty helpful.
 
I think star trails in the background would add some interest to the sky. Not nearly enough stars as is.
 
Pretty cool. It almost looks like you photographed the car during daylight hours under overcast skies, did a night shot several hours later, then just comped the two.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom