Another Morning with the Pigeons

Joel_W

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Decided to hit the local Grist Mill in Stonybrook for another session with those very photogenic Pigeons. While the pond is the home for masses of Ducks and Geese, and a large flock of Seagulls, this year I've only seen 4 to 6 Pigeons. Not exactly the most exotic of birds, but they seem to be the most photogenic, and the least spooky of the birds who make the pond their home. That is until the masses start to feed the flock of Geese and Ducks, and then all pandemonium breaks loose.

Weather was on the chilly side, sunny, and a little breezy. Not the best of conditions as the light was bright, & contrasty. But with my limited time, I take what I can get, and just try to deal with the conditions.

For some reason, which I'm assuming must have to do with matting, I could only find 3 Pigeons, and they were all up in a tree on the waters edge, and never left it for the few hours I was there. Here's the best of my Pigeon shots.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed them.

$Grist Mill_043011-08.jpg

$Grist Mill_043011-11.jpg

$Grist Mill_043011-12.jpg

Nice set. There is a bit of CA [purple fringing] on the branches in the first two. I have to say I love the second one though becasue he looks like he's pulled his tail feathers to the side as if to say "Oh please do, shoot my tail feathers. Aren't they lovely?" ;)

Nice set Joel! I also really like the second, what a pose! First one is wonderful too :) Good work.

Nice to see you out shooting other stuff :)
Do we get to see the Grist Mill at some point?

Nice set. There is a bit of CA [purple fringing] on the branches in the first two. I have to say I love the second one though becasue he looks like he's pulled his tail feathers to the side as if to say "Oh please do, shoot my tail feathers. Aren't they lovely?" ;)

Dagwood56, thanks for the CC. I checked that fringing, and from what I can see those lines aren't solid, it's more like a small shadow from the sunlight as it reflects off the bark.

Nice set Joel! I also really like the second, what a pose! First one is wonderful too :) Good work.

Nice to see you out shooting other stuff :)
Do we get to see the Grist Mill at some point?

Judi, thanks so much for the positive feedback. I to really liked the pose and so called attitude by the Pigeon in the 2nd picture. I guess all NY Pigeons just have that attitude. As for pictures of the Grist Mill, it's across the road, and down a hill, under trees. It's really a tough shoot. I've tried, but always failed with getting some decent pictures. will try again and see what happens.

Nice shots Joel. Too often we tend to think of pigeons as a nuisance more than something to be photographed - someone referred to them once as "rats with wings" - not sure if I agree with that statement, but it gives me a new subject 'cause we have a lot of them here.

Nice shots. I like the third one. Looks like he is having another lazy day.
Keep it up (=

Nice shots Joel. Too often we tend to think of pigeons as a nuisance more than something to be photographed - someone referred to them once as "rats with wings" - not sure if I agree with that statement, but it gives me a new subject 'cause we have a lot of them here.

WesternGuy, thanks for your positive words. I grew up till I was 13 in NYC, and Pigeons were truly regarded as more of pests then anything else, mostly because there were whats seemed millions of them. They appeared in mass anywhere people had food to give them. Over the last few years I've come to really enjoy them over many other species as they're colorful, and relatively easy to approach without needing a 400 mm lens. Ducks and Geese can be testy to say the least, but never had a mean or pesky Pigeon to deal with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back