Another Neutral Density filter thread ;)

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been wanting one, and the ultimate question is: how many stops of light should the filter absorb? I believe something like 4 is the most common. However, I've been doing some highly scientific tests from our terrace: All tests at f/22 and ISO-100 to achieve the longest possible shutter speed

So, a few days ago is was overcast at around 12 o'clock, midday. I set the camera to spot metering and metered off the water. I got 1/20th of a second. Applying a 4 stop ND filter would give me a shutter speed of one second. Is that sufficient for a real blurry water? Let's say I'm shooting waves hitting the shores. Those aren't moving very fast, and I would perhaps only be able to get one wave hitting the shore - and not get that silky soft gaseous water.

Another day it was sunny, and I metered off the water. I got a shutter speed of 1/100th of a second. Four stops down from here would be 1/6th of a second.

The third test I did was on an overcast day, just before it gets darker. I got a shutter speed of 1/8th of a second. Four stops down from here would be around 2 seconds. Better, not not quite the shutter speed needed for shooting waves, I would think.

And not to mention that it wouldn't always be ideal to shoot at f/22. As Bryan Peterson would have said it, I may come across "who cares" subjects, or when depth of field isn't really of great importance, and still want a long shutter speed in the day.

So, how are you guys doing this? I've been watching videos and done some testing now, and I'm a little befuddled as to what grade ND filter I would need.
Uber long shutter speeds aren't always the best, of course. I've seen several images on here of rivers with a one second exposure. Reveals some detail, yet blurry water. Perhaps the ideal thing would be to have 2 ND filters? :lol:

Not just 2 ND filters, but as many as you need. One ND filter will only accommodate one need. Having two will accommodate three. Three will accommodate seven. Four....... fifteen.

Do you have a CPL (circular polarizer) yet? That would be my first filter suggestion. They offer ~1-1/2 stop of light.

I use a 3 stop ND filter and it has worked for me.

I also have the three filter GND kit by Cokin.

I'm loving my 3 stop as well. If 3 stop is to much, you can always up the iso one stop. 3 stop is my happy medium especially because I can extend my low iso down to 50.

I have a 10-stop that's great for the blurry water effect... but it's definitely only useful in extreme circumstances. I was able to get a shutter over 3 minutes at f/9 like half an hour after sunrise. I've been wanting either a 3 or 4 stop to go along with it. Most of the time the 10 stop is so extreme you can't see through the viewfinder, or use in camera metering...

10 stops... Yikes.. You can probably weld or shoot a solar eclipse with that thing. You can always stack ND filters too.

You can always stack... but you'll inevitably lose some contrast and pick up some flare doing that. How much is too much certainly depends on the shot though.

I considered the singh-ray at one point and decided against it due to certain anomalies. The way it works is by rotating 2 polarizers with respect to each other, so you not only get a neutral density, you also get polarization on 2 axes, as well as the effect of the interaction of that polarization. Depending on the directionality of light in the scene I saw some pretty weird and unpredictable results... color shift in skies relative to viewing angle, etc...

Another problem with stacking is vignetting. If you're using a wide angle you've got problems unless you get the 77mm filters and use an adapter on lenses less than 77mm.

I just ordered a 10-stop B&W filter myself for a first ND, knowing I will be buying a couple few more later but wanted the 10 stop first ;)

I just ordered a 10-stop B&W filter myself for a first ND, knowing I will be buying a couple few more later but wanted the 10 stop first ;)

"Go big or go home!" I've seen some pretty incredible shots on the web using those 10-stop ND filters...it REALLY allows the photographer to explore the temporal aspect of photography much more than was possible with d-slrs that have a base ISO value of 200, as compared with the old-time ASA values of 6,8,10,12,25, where looooooong exposures were pretty normal when the lens was stopped down and/or the light levels were low. I think one thing you ought to definitely try with your 10-stop ND filter is to do a few city shots, where you eliminate most or all of the people moving by by getting the exposure into the 1 to 2 minute range.

T'was one thing on my list of things to do with it exactly. I've been scouting around San Jose for a good view ;)

I appreciate all your help, truly. 10 stops would unravel a few creative possibilities, no doubt... as would a 4-5 stop one. Which one to get, hehe. And which filter thread size...

Most reactions

Back