What's new

Camera filters

Pablo2000

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 13, 2025
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Location
York
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have used filters in my camera for decades. I sort of grew up with Cokin. These were ‘A’ type and I had a simple camera. I moved to DSLR and with a zoom Lense went to the ‘P’ type. I wanted to take the eclipse in the UK as the last time was 1999. I needed some strong filters and, on another forum, told I needed ND filters. I did get a K&F variable and got some good shots.

Moving on, I was looking into K&F as these are supposed to be professional but the other forum could not advise on filters. The Cokin holder would hold a round filter and 3 slides. The filter I bought on Amazon which worked was a K&F CONCEPT 82mm Variable ND Filter ND2-400 1-9 Stops. For some strange reason, this filter has a diameter of 88mm not 82mm and I can’t find a K&F holder that would match my Cokin holder. Most only allow one round filter or 2 slides but not both.

I am now in my 70s and would not want to spend too much on this equipment but would like a system like the Cokin that allows multiple filters and has an extensive filter range including, Star, Sepia, diffuser and transition. I have not seen any of these in the K&F range. Maybe a different manufacturer would be better. Hoya, Haida, Lee Filters
 

Attachments

  • DSC01040A.webp
    DSC01040A.webp
    43.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC01150A.webp
    DSC01150A.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Round filters typically screw straight onto the lens & are sold specifying their thread diameters.
You can readily get hold of stepping rings to allow filters of the wrong size to be used on lenses, as well as stacking filters directly on each other.
It would be possible to mount the vari ND on the lens (using a stepping ring if required) & then add the cokin holder in front of that.

It should have been pointed out to you that normal ND filters (fixed or variable) are not safe for photographing the sun, since they do not block infrared & UV significantly. I made this mistake back in 1999 which may be the reason I got cataracts in both eyes at an early age.

Vignetting can be an issue when stacking multiple filters, but that's really only an issue with wides lenses not the sort you'd use for the sun! In addition Variable ND filters & other polarisers tend to have issues with wide lenses for other reasons.
 
I use an UV filter to protect the lens.
There are scratches on the filter that I use almost daily...

When I tested the potential effect of the UV filter on image sharpness
I did not find any difference of minus filter versus plus filter.
Canon R5 Mark2 with RF 70-200 F2.8 lens.
 
I use an UV filter to protect the lens.
There are scratches on the filter that I use almost daily...

When I tested the potential effect of the UV filter on image sharpness
I did not find any difference of minus filter versus plus filter.
Canon R5 Mark2 with RF 70-200 F2.8 lens.
I've seen difference on several of my lenses, but not normally with anything less than 300mm (unless the filter is grubby)

Strangely I found it hard to spot any issues with the lens (helios 44) that had a big chunk missing from the front element!
 
You might know this, but your dslr camera might provide many adjustments mimicking filters. (Stars, blue, color filters, white balance....) If Auto White Balance is chosen, it might also negate many CC filters effects.
Best of luck in your quest.
 
I have always been a B&W filter user for a long time now. But have been trying some K&F. They have basically 3 levels of quality. The cheaper one have like 18 basic coating layers while the best ha more and nono crystal layers similar the higher end filters from others. They do list light transmission figures, with their higher line at 99.8% for the best ones.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom