another noob question

bigarchguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello all, I'm attempting to make the transition from P&S to dslr, but i don't know very much about photography. i'm looking for advice on a good starter dslr. my biggest need in one is a high resolution, because i'm an architecture student and most photos i take are of buildings and various details (some very small). So i would like to be able to have images that i could blow up pretty large and still have good quality. also, as a student, i'm on an extremely limited budget (shooting for $500 max, but that may be wishful thinking). thanks for any help you can provide.

well so that you know, the details are not shown just by the high resolution. A high end lens can render the details very well.
So you can have a camera with a huge amount of MP, but if you have a crappy lens that you might loose details.
I would recommend you the Canon 450D which is 600$ on B&H ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542177-REG/Canon_2756B001_EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html )
But it's the body only, and you need to buy a good lens, you can get away for less than 100$ for the kit lens (17-55mm) but a good lens its over 500$.
If you are a beginner you could go with the kit lens and then invest some more.
You could try to search a used camera on ebay, or try a Canon 350D or a Nikon D40.

the canon 17-55mm is actually a $1000 lens. i think you meant 18-55. the 350D and 400D or xt and xti you can get with len for about $500 new. $500 is a tough budget to work with. You also have to factor in the accessories such as memory cards, cases, filters and cleaning kits. All in all, a new or used entrance level body with a kit lens is what you should be aiming for. If you can fork over a few extra benji's then a better lens should be on order.

Nick

Most reactions

Back