Another noob wondering how much to charge :P

I get a free season ticket and a players lounge pass anyway ;)

I would insist that you not charge at all. You don't have the equipment or the experience to charge 100 pounds IMHO...
The old expression, "If you have to ask how much..." Really, are you even allowed to charge? Are you authorized or licensed by the appropriate govenment agencies to engage in trade? What about your contract? One of the reasons that big companies like to use new/inexperienced people for jobs like this is because they believe that they can push them around. Have you discussed usage and licensing? What are your rights and obligations with respect to copyright for commissioned work?

As mentioned, you don't have the equipment, experience or resouces to engage in this undertaking. In fact, given the nature of it, I would go one step further than Tyler and bow out totally.

To give you an idea, based on my pricing, I would probably charge ~$100/head for the head shots, and significantly more for the atheletes. Of course use would be a huge factor. How/where will they be used, for how long etc. As you can see, there are a LOT of moving parts to a situation like this. It's not just "How much".

Good luck!

Thanks, that was insightful, I didn't know about this. Ill look into that when I next talk to them!

Now, see, I have been using DSLR for video/films for a year and a half now and know about composition, lighting, exposure etc. But I have no clue when it comes to 'photography' itself. eg: Use of Flash, portraits, etc.

These seems inconsistent to me, hence my "silly" response. I'm not sure how to respond to this but I think Sparky nailed it.

Now, see, I have been using DSLR for video/films for a year and a half now and know about composition, lighting, exposure etc. But I have no clue when it comes to 'photography' itself. eg: Use of Flash, portraits, etc.

These seems inconsistent to me, hence my "silly" response. I'm not sure how to respond to this but I think Sparky nailed it.

I see no real inconsistencies here. Video/film and photography are not lit the same way.

But my response would be very close to the one tirediron gave you. A lot of the fee has to do with usage aspects and unless those are nailed down we can't really help you.

Honestly man, turn it down. Maybe offer to do the action stuff, because you have some experience in it. But shooting the portraits is not going to go well. You'd need backdrops, stands, lighting equipment, and knowledge of how to use it. I would simply decline the job and reccomend they hire a professional who can deliver professional results. Seriously.

Putting bad work out there with your name on it will come back to bite you in the future once you are able to produce better images. It just doesn't seem like you've yet reached a point where charging for your work, or even doing a job like this, is feasible.

I know you are frustrated as hell with these answers, but the truth is we can't tell ANYONE what to charge. It's based on your expenses, cost of doing business, COG and your skill. While I may charge a $250 sitting fee, someone else may be charging $100 and yet another $500. It's a very personal number and it's based on some cold hard dollar figures and on the value you put on your time and skill.

I was wondering about that too. Contradicting statements!

Not really, It may seem the same, but the way you do it is slightly different.

Definitely not the same at all. I do both and lighting for film is much easier than lighting a photo shoot, at least in my opinion. Often in film you want shadows, underexposure, etc. depending on the mood of the scene. We shot a film scene last week where the main character's face was half in shadow the entire time because we don't want the audience to see who he is right away. I've never seen a photo shoot done that way, but I could be wrong..

Definitely not the same at all. I do both and lighting for film is much easier than lighting a photo shoot, at least in my opinion. Often in film you want shadows, underexposure, etc. depending on the mood of the scene. We shot a film scene last week where the main character's face was half in shadow the entire time because we don't want the audience to see who he is right away. I've never seen a photo shoot done that way, but I could be wrong..

It makes sense. I thought about it after posting and realized that I had probably jumped the gun on that one.

Photography is all about shadow play

From what I understand, in most cases it's about keeping it off of the person or subject. From what I've read on the forums, most times harsh shadows on the subject are bad.

From what I understand, in most cases it's about keeping it off of the person or subject. From what I've read on the forums, most times harsh shadows on the subject are bad.

Well you have heard wrong, without shadows there is no definition, harsh shadow are ok if used in the right way
Here's a CD cover i shot for a local singer song writer, she wanted harsh light
436210569_rtsem-L.jpg

Most reactions

Back