Another One Goes Subscription Only

Thank God I have no need for this program. I bought it back in 98 as a standalone and was not really in much need of it.

Thank God I have no need for this program. I bought it back in 98 as a standalone and was not really in much need of it.

I use Excell and Word daily, so for me it's a necessity. My personal accounting software went to a subscription model last year, business accounting software might as well be as they stop supporting versions after three years. When they stop support you lose the ability to direct connect with financial institutions and brokerage firms.

I'm a dinosaur. I have Office 2003. Still vital to me, and still fully functional.

For business use it might be slightly different in the USA, but in the Netherlands you - as an entrepreneur - can deduct the costs for these subscriptions, so in the end it's not really a cost.

Software purchase qualifies under section 179 for 100% deduction as an expense in 2019, subject to certain caps, that most small businesses won't reach. Monthly subscription costs for software are generally also deductible.

However it is still a cost, you don't get a dollar for dollar credit against any tax you owe. It is an expense that reduces your taxable income. The amount you save on your taxes is dependent on your your tax rate.

I thought you were retired...?

One more thing I don't use and don't need. I can always do a letter and email it or could do it on a typewriter (which I've thought about getting) and scan it in. My taxes are only my retirement so easy peasy to do taxes! lol I suppose if you had your own business or contracted work then it would be a lot more to keep track of.

They've actually had the subscription model available for a awhile now. I switched over a couple years ago, and have no regrets. For me it's just a cost of living in today's digital world. Microsoft cuts Office 2019 one-time licenses through Home Use Program – Ars Technica

After a computer crash a few years ago I lost my purchased Microsoft Office Suite 2010, I then switched to the free software from Apache Open Office, see: https://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html
This is a good program with various options and once in awhile updates. Suddenly Microsoft started with Office 365, but I make too little use of Word, Excel etc. to spend money this way and so far I've never regretted the switch. For business use it might be slightly different in the USA, but in the Netherlands you - as an entrepreneur - can deduct the costs for these subscriptions, so in the end it's not really a cost.
Exactly the same situation for me at home except I do have to use word regularly - one contact insists on sending e-mails as word attachments, even though his messages are just text.:angry:
I use Excel quite a bit more, mainly at work but it's nice to be able to read my 'photographic resources' spreadsheet at home as well :)

I thought you were retired...?

Retired from active day to day, but still have business interests, investments, and remain an active investor in the market. Which is why it's important to have internet connectivity to automate the exchange of information. Having to manually enter everything, pay bills, etc., would make it a day to day job for me instead a few mins.

I'm a dinosaur. I have Office 2003. Still vital to me, and still fully functional.

I thought my Office 2007 was prehistoric but you win!

I thought my Office 2007 was prehistoric but you win!

When God said, 'Let there be light!', he turned on a switch I wired for him. I also wired the factory he used to make dirt with.

I use Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint regularly. I hate the thought of an annual subscription.

When I had my computer built I didn't want to buy the Microsoft Office package. I am using Word Starter. No need for Excel.

I did buy the last one when I bought my computer. Microsoft Office 2013.

Will I be able to use this going forward?
What happens if I want to upgrade my computer if this one fails?

I don't know how much money the Gates' need, but I refused to subscribe for something that was always free. I have bought enough PC's over the last 25 years that I believe I have contributed enough to their wealth. Thank you @gk fotografie for posting the Apache freeware link. I am going to check them out.

I don't know how much money the Gates' need, but I refused to subscribe for something that was always free. I have bought enough PC's over the last 25 years that I believe I have contributed enough to their wealth. Thank you @gk fotografie for posting the Apache freeware link. I am going to check them out.

Welcome to capitalism.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back