another pic for CC please

momofthing1and2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was done and the color has been saturated a bit much but I really like the way it turned out. any comments or ideas on what could have made it better are appreciated! Thanks!
*edited to add info*
Exposure Time1/125 secF-NumberF 5ISO Speed Ratings500Focal Length75.0 mmFlashNo flash fired

terryben1109200221.jpg

Nice shot, But like you said it looks too oversaturated for my taste and the skin looks a little too overexposed. But other than that good job.

It could be a great photo. The color looks off even beyond the over saturation. At 125 I am not sure why this is so out of focus. If you have the ablility with your camera make sure you are focusing correctly. Mine has a setting where I can set the focus to the center of the view finder. I use that setting all the time. Then I point to the spot I want focused and then recompose. The only sharp thing I see in this photo is his collar on the right hand side of the photo.

It could be a great photo. The color looks off even beyond the over saturation. At 125 I am not sure why this is so out of focus. If you have the ablility with your camera make sure you are focusing correctly. Mine has a setting where I can set the focus to the center of the view finder. I use that setting all the time. Then I point to the spot I want focused and then recompose. The only sharp thing I see in this photo is his collar on the right hand side of the photo.

awesome thanks for the feedback. I will be checking on that. I think that its set to closest subject and that may not be a good thing.

For portraits be sure you focus on the eyes. And putting the eyes 1/3 from the top may work better...his eyes are right in the middle horizontally.

Yeah, the PP work is way too much for my tastes. Was the original image that overexposed?

Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW? With RAW you have a lot of latitude for exposure, white balance and color correction. With JPEG you're much more limited.

For portraits be sure you focus on the eyes. And putting the eyes 1/3 from the top may work better...his eyes are right in the middle horizontally.

Yeah, the PP work is way too much for my tastes. Was the original image that overexposed?

Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW? With RAW you have a lot of latitude for exposure, white balance and color correction. With JPEG you're much more limited.

it's jpeg. i havent shot in RAW yet. here is the original: straight off the camera
terryben1109022.jpg

I like the original image a lot better...except it shows the stuff coming out of his nose a little clearer.

Here is my take on it
I am sure there are others here that can do even better than myself but it was just my take.

3161855754_dbf86cc09d_o.jpg

Last edited:
I might get some flack for this but I think the number one mistake almost every beginner makes when they get photoshop is to start sliding everything they can get their hands on. The first thing I noticed is that you overexposed the shot in photoshop and hardly did when you took the photo. I'd say stick with taking the shots and use the minimal amount of editing in the beginning. For instance color correction, contrast enhancement, and sharpening...most everything else you can throw out. Keep on the path :).

Here is my quick play on the picture. Just did some sharpening, adjusted exposure and white balance.
3162654152_9b2502ac50.jpg

Here's my edit...I tend to go for slightly darker images with richer colors.

3163506610_e5b88af3b7.jpg

I suspect you are focusing way too much on trying to turn crap pictures into something artistic through photoshop. Take good, well composed photos that have some feeling to them, and then fine tune them to bring out the emotion or subject or meaning that you attempted to capture.

What's up with the ridiculous greenish-blue color cast on top of his head. It's looks horrid in the original edit, but shows up in all the rest too. Mgw, that edit looks really glazed and fake, especially his eyes. Looks sort of like a ton too much sharpening.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back