another question - Street life and action

samal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well, after trying to dissect what makes pictures of faces to be portraits, I couldn't help but ask the same question about what makes a good street candid shot?

Many times I would pass an interesting activity, or scene on the street, I would love the emotion, the dynamics that I see and grab a camera only to have a boring and dull picture that doesn't bring out the subjects the way I remember them, so when I show this picture to others, all I get are confused looks: "...and you took this picture why?"

here is one example that I think i was able to get the mood that I felt - taken few years ago in Dominican republic:

1211200552445PM_0041-vi.jpg

Tell me what this picture tells you about the mood and emotion if any. I am biased since I know what I was trying to do here.

To me, these guys n gal look like 3rd world country, taxi drivers. That's what I get.

To me, these guys n gal look like 3rd world country, taxi drivers. That's what I get.

Sure, thats what they "are" (assuming that they really are taxi drivers, of course) but I think what the OP is looking for is your opinion on the emotion of the photo and the people in it.

At first I see boredom; just another slow day on the job. Everything/everyone is very casual; nothing new going on.

Then I noticed that the guy in the grey shirt seems to be laughing, leading me to believe that he is joking around with his buddy to his left (to the right of the image in the blue/pink jacket) That adds a level of happiness or content to the photograph.

Or I could just be rambling on and not hitting on any of the real aspects of the photo!

Nothing about the photo really jumps out at me and screams "HEY LOOK AT ME!"

... actually that would make for some really chaotic photo galleries if pictures jumped and screamed. I'm loving the mental image I'm getting.

Sure, thats what they "are" (assuming that they really are taxi drivers, of course) but I think what the OP is looking for is your opinion on the emotion of the photo and the people in it.

At first I see boredom; just another slow day on the job. Everything/everyone is very casual; nothing new going on.

Then I noticed that the guy in the grey shirt seems to be laughing, leading me to believe that he is joking around with his buddy to his left (to the right of the image in the blue/pink jacket) That adds a level of happiness or content to the photograph.

Or I could just be rambling on and not hitting on any of the real aspects of the photo!

pretty much spot on - I was taking this picture on a bus full of happily chitchatting tourists in Hawaiian shirts and sunglasses, enjoying complimentary beer and air conditioned cabin, so for me the boredom on being tired was so obvious and striking. I guess I was the only one aiming the camera to that direction.

So the question, how do you make it (whatever it is) to jump and scream at viewers same way it jumped and screamed at me?

pretty much spot on - I was taking this picture on a bus full of happily chitchatting tourists in Hawaiian shirts and sunglasses, enjoying complimentary beer and air conditioned cabin, so for me the boredom on being tired was so obvious and striking. I guess I was the only one aiming the camera to that direction

It would have provided a nice context and contrast if you had shown the tourists as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back