Another reason to stick with film?

Don Simon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sorry for the title, I don't actually want this to turn into the old digital-vs-film debate, I just thought it would get some attention. :mrgreen:

Although I do suspect it might make the more diehard film people a little more smug than we are already. :mrgreen:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#gatech

A device to block digital camera function :shock: the pessimist in me thinks that although there will be talk about use for security purposes etc, it won't only affect people taking 'illegal' shots. Plus once it becomes affordable if could be used by anyone who wants to sell you crappy postcards instead of allowing you to take your own shots.

I guess they could do the same with film too, by zapping you with various rays, though that doesn't sound very safe :lol:

Another reason why secret agents/spies will stick with film!

Hhahahaah

They blast your camera with a laser!

A nice lenshood will trick the system

If this system comes out, don't be surprised if you see filters for sale that will scatter the image sensor reflection so that they aren't detected.

And if I recall correctly, those video cameras were just using infrared light. Some had infrared emiters so that they could light up an area without visible light, so you could do night shots without disturbing the wildlife as much. The longer wavelength of infrared allows it to pass through some clothing, so you'd get this same effect with IR film or any other camera that can see IR, as long as you block out all visible light (won't work with just a red filter).

Hm... maybe I should get that IR conversion done on my camera after all...

DocFrankenstein said:
Hhahahaah

They blast your camera with a laser!

A nice lenshood will trick the system
Probably not. They will probably be placing the sensor and emitor in line with whatever it is you will want to photograph, so they'd be in the field of view.

Eheh.........

Read the whole story here, and especially the bottom part I included.

http://www.gatech.edu/news-room/release.php?id=1017

There are some caveats, according to Summet. Current camera-neutralizing technology may never work against single-lens-reflex cameras, which use a folding-mirror viewing system that effectively masks its CCD except when a photo is actually being taken. Moreover, anti-digital techniques don’t work on conventional film cameras because they have no image sensor.

Soocom1 said:
There are some caveats, according to Summet. Current camera-neutralizing technology may never work against single-lens-reflex cameras, which use a folding-mirror viewing system that effectively masks its CCD except when a photo is actually being taken. Moreover, anti-digital techniques don’t work on conventional film cameras because they have no image sensor.

When I read this, I kinda figured that it wouldn't likely work with SLR cameras. Maybe, though, since SLRs are professional-ish, they won't care as much. I mean, I've got a good camera, and I refuse to buy postcards. If someone were to tell me that I couldn't take a photo, that I had to buy the post card, I'd tell them precisely what dimensions they'd need roll that postcard up to, and precisely where they should insert it. And I'd leave without buying the postcard. If others who care enough about their photography to own a professional-ish camera think similarly, then the postcard-sellers would only lose money on us.

If, on the other hand, they didn't tell me I couldn't take the photo, I'd likely buy the postcard as well, since I'm just vain enough to compare.

the most effective technuique i've ever seen of this was where they would do this thing called 'turning off the lights'.
even the 35 mm users were angry :p

well the system obviously doesn't work, look at the pictures of the machine. If it worked, there would be no pictures...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back