Another simple question -- Using Flash

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know all the basics about flash, but I'm still not sure about when I'm supposed to use it. I heard that you're NOT supposed to use flash indoors and you're supposed to use it outdoors? How about indoors when taking pictures of people? I'm confused! Thanks for any help!

I know its good to use outside to fill in the shadows made by the sun. But only after you lower the power a few stops.

I wouldn't say anything is SUPPOSED to be done or not. It's up to the discretion of the photographer. Example: If taking photos of a party in a night club, yes you're going to need the flash. How you use it is what makes the photos worth looking at or not. Bouncing the flash off of walls, using diffusers etc etc are all ways to reduce the harsh shadows a flash may give off while still lighting the subject.

Using the flash outdoors to fill in areas where detail is lost is the most common use of the flash outdoors. When shooting into the sun, using a flash as a fill light to capture detail in a person/subjects face is common.

Flash is a photographers tool, if you need to shoot and there's too little light use flash as its a controllable light source. H

I heard that you're NOT supposed to use flash indoors and you're supposed to use it outdoors?
Bad way of thinking. Creativity has no rules. But to answer your question, using flash indoors and bouncing it off the ceiling is a very common way to create diffuse light. Flash can also be used directly to flatten out the subject for artistic purposes. Just keep in mind that bounce flash is generally worthless in places with high ceilings, etc. Pretty obvious, really.

I know all the basics about flash, but I'm still not sure about when I'm supposed to use it.
The basics of flash is to know when and how to use it. So therefore, I'd think you may not know the basics.

I heard that you're NOT supposed to use flash indoors and you're supposed to use it outdoors? How about indoors when taking pictures of people? I'm confused! Thanks for any help!
It all depends on the effect you're going for. For example........

Flash Indoors
(remember, you're not supposed to use indoors)​

791667865_63haY-XL.jpg

736247788_d8mEE-XL.jpg

799867190_u63XP-XL.jpg

863852837_FygvN-XL.jpg

857751300_uSmC6-XL.jpg

Flash Outdoors

886858255_yTzw7-XL.jpg

929260570_rDYYC-XL.jpg

733555409_PMtBi-XL.jpg

828927679_nVGV2-XL.jpg

and just to throw a spanner in the works........​

Flash Outside / Subject Inside

896762824_z7M4a-XL.jpg

897338631_TfbWK-XL.jpg

Like I said...... it all depends on the effect you want.​

I know all the basics about flash, but I'm still not sure about when I'm supposed to use it.
The basics of flash is to know when and how to use it. So therefore, I'd think you may not know the basics.

I heard that you're NOT supposed to use flash indoors and you're supposed to use it outdoors? How about indoors when taking pictures of people? I'm confused! Thanks for any help!
It all depends on the effect you're going for. For example........

736247788_d8mEE-XL.jpg

I like this shot.
Damn, now I want a cigarette ...
;)

Most reactions

Back