Another Starting Studio Lighting Question Series

astrostu

I shoot for the stars
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to figure out some basics of studio lighting. My basic situation is that I'm NOT a studio person, don't have a studio, but it looks like I may have the opportunity to do a bit of studio work in the future. My question is on lighting. At the moment, I have just a Canon 580EX II and 430EX flash units (plus a 7D that can trigger them). I don't have a gigantic budget, and since I'm not really a studio person, I'd rather NOT get lights that can ONLY be used for studio work.

So, with that in mind, I'm thinking I should pick up a second 580 II. That way I'd have another flash I can use whenever while not having a gigantic light that I can't take hiking into a cave. Do you think 2 flashes mounted would be enough for normal studio work, and possibly wedding formals?

The next question is, what about stands and umbrellas? It seems almost like buying a tripod in that there are a huge number of brands, and types available. But, it looks like, in general, I'd be able to pick up two stands, mounts, and umbrellas for roughly $100? What do you folks recommend looking for in these?

And yes, I have looked at AlienBees. They're more of giant flash units than I'm looking, unless normal flashes just wouldn't be apropos in general situations?

I'm not sure what the point of your question is since you seem to already have made up your mind. Plus you don't mention what kind is the "bit of studio work" you might be doing...

"Normal studio work" means nothing. A normal portrait studio can get away with 3 strobes. My normal however requires 5 times that many at a minimum. What is your normal?

There are no lights, by the way, that can only be used in studio. There are photogs on the other hand who don't want to lug around a ton of gear. Not quite the same thing. Honestly, to each his own. I couldn't care less what others do but I'll keep doing what I do so that the money keeps coming in and I sure as hell won't worry about the guys out there with their couple speedlights. They'll never be competition.

All I can say is go to the library, get a book on lighting and one on studio work, read them and, then, make an informed decision.

As for stands, modifiers, etc, you usually get what you pay for. Although the cheaper ones will not make much of a difference in the quality of the light, they won't last as long as better gear. If you shoot once in a blue moon, the cheaper stuff can be just fine.

I haven't made up my mind, I'd just rather go with a pair of speedlights IF I can.

Normal studio work would be portrait, some small group shots. Potentially some wedding formals. I already lug around 30 lbs of camera gear -- it's another 10 lbs of lights only that I don't really want to do.

I'm not sure what the point of your question is since you seem to already have made up your mind...

...There are photogs on the other hand who don't want to lug around a ton of gear. Not quite the same thing. Honestly, to each his own. I couldn't care less what others do but I'll keep doing what I do so that the money keeps coming in and I sure as hell won't worry about the guys out there with their couple speedlights. They'll never be competition.

Not especially helpful, and frankly makes you sound a tad arrogant, which i'm sure you're not... I guess the OP maybe means he's looking for lighting solutions that can be used in a variety of situations, not just the studio, which is no reason to demean his options! Unless you're going to get your hands on a generator, or a hell of a long extension cable (or spend silly amounts on powerpacks, which unless you do a ton of studio type stuff doesn't make sense), you'll find it bloody hard using mains studio strobes anywhere outside!

A few speedlights will most probably be enough light for the type of stuff he mentions, the skill is using it well. I've seen some truly stunning images over the years produced with a couple of guns, that i'd hazard a guess may give you some competition - more 'bang for your buck' isn't always the case, as someone who earns their living from this game should know.

Speedlights lack Oomph (power), compared to studio lights. But, you can make photos with just 2 speedlights. Of course, you''ll be pretty limited as to the range of good photos you'll be able to make if you only have 2 speedlight available. Aren't you an astronomer, in school for such, and familiar with light and how light works?

However, more than one speedlight can be used at each lighting position. I use radio trigger receivers that allow for mounting 2 speedlights on each receiver for just that reason (double the light power): ISHOOT, PT-04 C Wireless Remote Radio Flash Trigger, With 3 Receivers.
If you want to take a minimalist, light-weight approach Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography

I subscribe to the minimalist approach, so I have 12 speedlights, 18 receivers, 4 transmitters, a dozen reflectors, 20 or so light stands (3 feet to 13 feet), 6 or so boom arms, Lowell clamps, Justin clamps, super clamps, rolls and rolls of gaffers tape (in several colors and widths), a **** load of umbrells in various sizes (most convertible), 8 or 10 brolly boxes in various sizes, 14 or so softboxes in various sizes, flags, scrims, gobos, diffusers, a couple of rolls of cinefoil, and a bunch of other ****, so it's not always so minimalist and light weight.

They make portable standalone power supplies for using studio lighting on-location.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You could look at a Quantum flash. They're speedlight sized and have more power, but you're spending 700-800 and still need accessories. I think you can buy 150w/s and 200-400w/s versions.

Sunpak made a similar flash, but I forget the model number and didn't see any on e-bay.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back