Another Storm

Anty said:
Wow, good job! Back in my film-shooting days I went through a LOT of rolls trying to get a good lightning strike shot (without much success). The first shot has amazing clouds in it, and I love how you can see the areas of rain falling from the clouds. The 2 lightning bolt shots are wonderful too, with that eerie colour to the sky.

(Love the shot in your signature as well, btw)

Thank you Anty. I love taking pictures of storms. That one that you love in my Sig was part of another thread I posted about 2 weeks ago.

Incredible shots, BoblyBill! I live in South Florida which is said to experience more lightning strikes than any other location in the U.S., yet I never even dreamed of trying to capture a strike. (I even got hit by a secondary flash once, but that's another story.) What surprises my unlettered mind, though is that you were shooting at 2.8. Pardon my ignorance, but is that wide an aperture recommended when you are trying to focus on infinity for a shot of a faraway strike?

You got hit?!?!?!?! I would love to hear about it unless you are unwilling. I know that sometimes stories like that are for just family member's ears.

The wide aperture effects the Depth of Field and not the focus ability. I could still focus to infinity, but the amount in focus would be a lot less than if I used say a aperture of 16.

great shots, love the colors in all of them, and you captured a great strike in #2... :thumbup:

Thanks JHTphoto... It was a lot of fun other than I was standing still waiting for a strike and the mosquitos were biting me, but I coudn't get rid of them because I might miss a strike...

Really good- You keep getting better and better.

Awesome stuff mate, but just image how much more awesomer they'd be with a few Grumman Cats flying past :lol:

Amazing. Sky is incredible in 1. Could you photoshop out that tree?

These are aewsome. I like #2 the most. Lightning fascinates me & I hope get some good captures of it someday.

Thanks guys. John 05 thanks for the info. I'm not that knowledgable about lightning as much as I am with supercells and tornados (and even then not that knowledgable).

ive loved storms all my life. i remember my mom telling me she used to have to pull me away from windows when i was very young (around 2 years old) because she was afraid i might get struck.

i would probably give certain body parts away to get some shots of a tornado or even just a massive supercell. until i can, ill have to settle for watching the dozens of videos i have, and enjoying the shots like those you (and others) post here.

we did have one of the "best" storms weve had here in a very long time last night, and i managed a few lightning shots. when i have time to resize and upload a few, ill post them.

again, very nice shots. mine arent quite as nice as yours, but im working on it. :D

Wow. I love them. They don't even look real!
The sky looks beautiful in all three of them. I love the way the color changes so dramatically and I love the fact that the trees/plants looks like a silhouette against the sky.

Thanks for all the comments!!! I just got back from a wedding, and am editing some pictures of the trip and checked and more comments...

William, I'm sorry but I don't photoshop that much out of a picture. I'll from time to time edit out phone poles, they are usually insignificant anyways and they are ones I usually forgot to take out of the frame. Other than that... it was there it was there. Unless it was a paid thing where they paid me to remove something I will.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back