What's new

Ireland: a 4x5" Portfolio and a story

Vieri

Fine Art Landscape Photographer
Joined
Nov 24, 2017
Messages
623
Reaction score
1,346
Location
Tuscany, Italy
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In 2025, my wife and I went to Ireland twice, spending nearly one month total on that beautiful island both for me to do some personal work and to finalise our upcoming, new Workshop there. Photographically speaking, these trips resulted in a 40-image Portfolio.

Our first visit was in spring; our second in winter. During our stay, we worked along the Irish coasts and inland, on very different types of ground and under very different weather conditions, which presented me with quite a few challenges. 4x5” cameras are notoriously prone to suffering from micro-movement when working both in windy conditions and on less than solid ground, such as sandy beaches, spongy and peaty soil, and the like. Ireland offered plenty of both.

More, a large part of my photography is done using use exposure control as an expressive tool. I love the simplification power of long exposures, and I use exposure control’s ability to transform matter as a compositional tool; as a result, my shutter speeds are often in the minutes.

Technically speaking, as a result of both our first trip to Ireland, and of the overall experience I gained during our 2025 spring traveling season, over the summer I had to rethink my kit and fine tune my technique. I took off for our fall 2025 traveling season with different gear, and a much better understanding of how to make the most of my time in the field.

I just published an article on my blog featuring the new Portfolio and describing this experience, which you can find here: IRELAND: A 4X5″ PORTFOLIO | Vieri Bottazzini Fine Art Photography

Some photographs out of the Portfolio for you to enjoy:

2025_03_31_Arca_FP4_0024.jpg


2025_12_09_Arca_FP4_0015.jpg


2025_03_31_Arca_FP4_0077.jpg


2025_03_31_Arca_FP4_0089.jpg


All photographs shot on Ilford FP4+ at 100 ISO, developed in Pyrocat-HD.

Best regards,

Vieri
 
Fabulous set! Best of luck with the upcoming workshop- should be a blast.
 
All good as usual ... :encouragement:
Hey Jeff, thank you very much indeed, happy you enjoyed them! :)
Fabulous set! Best of luck with the upcoming workshop- should be a blast.
Thank you very much Terri, glad you enjoyed the work and thank you for your kind wishes, I am very much looking forward to going back to Ireland soon!

Best regards,

Vieri
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom