What's new

Another strobe question

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 28, 2009
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Location
Chattanooga, TN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In a couple of days, I will be doing a studio session and need some advice with the positioning of strobes. Part of the session will include some nudes/implied on a couch. The couch will be against a dark wall.

Where should I position the lights for poses stretching across the couch? I have a large softbox and a couple of hot lights to work with. I would typically have one of the hot lights somewhere behind the model, but in this situation it is not practical. I can move the couch away from the wall, but not sure that would be beneficial.

Any advice would be appreciated.
scott
 
In a couple of days, I will be doing a studio session and need some advice with the positioning of strobes. Part of the session will include some nudes/implied on a couch. The couch will be against a dark wall.

Where should I position the lights for poses stretching across the couch? I have a large softbox and a couple of hot lights to work with. I would typically have one of the hot lights somewhere behind the model, but in this situation it is not practical. I can move the couch away from the wall, but not sure that would be beneficial.

Any advice would be appreciated.
scott
That depends on the lighting effect you want to create and the specific pose the model is in on the couch.
 
Move the couch away from the wall about 4 feet, one light behind couch low shining up the wall another light with a snoot shining down the length of her body creating an outline, the light behind will give a bit of seperation and hopefully show the couch up a touch, if set right should give a nice low key implied nude
 
Thanks Gary, def will try. Any other ideas? I intend to try several different positions while there, but was hoping to get some general ideas before hand.
 
Look for a setting on the strobes for a "modeling light". This is basically a lamp that turns on full time, so that - in a dark room - you can see what your lighting, and where you are casting shadows.

If you have the modeling lamps, which most strobes do, then it's just a matter of positioning the lamps and setting your exposure =)

It's kinda like painting ...... lol
 
Start with a 3-point setup and then play around from there.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom