Any Advice?

okiecowboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Newbie wanting advice again....I am more of a lurker than poster but I have been learning alot here, so figured I would post a couple...any advice? am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance
okiecowboy67

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/okiecowboy67/sammicowgrl-1-2.jpg

okiecowboy67
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/okiecowboy67/sammicowgrl-1.jpg

Newbie wanting advice again....I am more of a lurker than poster but I have been learning alot here, so figured I would post a couple...any advice? am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance
okiecowboy67

okiecowboy67

Looks great. You just need a back light to keep her head and dark tones in the dress from blending with the background.
sammicowgrl-1-2.jpg

dang, don't know why I can't get pics to show up..sorry about that.

both pictures seem to be missing some lighting on top because the top of both photos are a little underexposed. The one with the cowboy boot, I would suggest maybe she look a little happier? She seem like she doesn't want to be taken a photo of. Otherwise great photos. My 2 cents if it's worth anything.

I like how they look. keep up the great work. I think you will go far in life. :)

Thanks all...I may try and post another one in a bit to see if I can do it right...Thank you all for taking the time.

Not too bad. On the black backdrop shot, a hair/separation/kicker light from the back, left side would be nice; my preference would be an 11 inch reflector, with barn doors, a 20 degree honeycomb grid AND a mylar snap-on diffuser over the grid, as the "perfect" separation light. Because it would be coming from the back, and left, and at a somewhat steep angle, only 1/8 to 1/6 of the mainlight's power would be required to make a beautiful,soft "outline" of light around the left hand side of the little girl. That would make her totally look 3-Dimensional. If the main light is at 200 watt-seconds, the separation light when using a reflector/grid/diffuser setup could be as low as 25 watt seconds and it'd be about right with a main light of 200 watt-seconds fired through a softbox or umbrella.

Lacking the barndoors/grid/diffuser trifecta, you can also use a black-backed reflecting umbrella, closed way down, with the light shot up into the mostly-closed umbrella...that works surprisingly well as a low-powered rim light.

On the cowgirl post with the foot up on the hay bale...just don't crop off the feet...

Still, pretty cute pictures....good posing ideas, nice set design.

Derrel

When you say "steep angle" would that be from Above or Below? sorry but just double checking

and one more just to prove my model can smile :)

Actually a test to see if I can get pics to show up

sammicowgrl-1-3.jpg

By steep angle I meant from behind the subject, with the light aiming back toward the camera at about a 20 degree angle--so, the light would be positioned very close to the left edge of the background, above the subject's head height,and aimed slightly downward. So, the light would come from behind, and above, and not say from off to the left.

The barn doors in this kind of set-up really,really allow you to control the spread of the light AND they keep stray light from hitting a black background. I was talking off-list with somebody about this, and he mentioned he'd tried a reflector + honeycomb grid but the light was still "too hot" for his taste--and I told him that's what I had found, until I tried the snap-on mylar diffusers from Speedotron....the addition of the diffuser really softens the light up!

Using the mostly-closed down black-backed umbrella has the same effect....the closed-down shape of the umbrella means that no light will hit the black backdrop. A small speedlihgt fired into an umbrella closed down about 85% will make a good separation light on a single-person shot like the girl on the black backdrop.

I grew up around cattle...the cowskin rug is a great backdrop for these types of shots!

Last edited:
okay got it, thanks again. I will see if she will let me bribe her into trying again

Most reactions

Back