Any DIY AI Conversion People Here?

eminart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, just got my D80 and I have a couple of old lenses that are non-AI. One, the 85mm, I thought was AI, since I'm a total newb and don't know much. Actually put it on my camera and took a few photos. Luckily, nothing was damaged.

Anyway, I've been reading about AI conversions. I have the tools and the ability to do it myself with no problems, but I'm a little confused on what I'm trying to accomplish. The only thing I can see that gets in the way of mounting a non-ai lense on my D80 is the little switch-thingy (I forget what it's called) that's at about the 8 o'clock position if you're facing the body. But, all the sites I see show the aperture ring being filed/ground/milled from around the f-stops down to some point on the side that isn't clear.

Does anybody know exactly what part(s) of the ring should be removed?

Alright, just got my D80 and I have a couple of old lenses that are non-AI. One, the 85mm, I thought was AI, since I'm a total newb and don't know much. Actually put it on my camera and took a few photos. Luckily, nothing was damaged.

Anyway, I've been reading about AI conversions. I have the tools and the ability to do it myself with no problems, but I'm a little confused on what I'm trying to accomplish. The only thing I can see that gets in the way of mounting a non-ai lense on my D80 is the little switch-thingy (I forget what it's called) that's at about the 8 o'clock position if you're facing the body. But, all the sites I see show the aperture ring being filed/ground/milled from around the f-stops down to some point on the side that isn't clear.

Does anybody know exactly what part(s) of the ring should be removed?

You've just confused the daylights out of me. Is one of these the lens that you mean?
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/1931/AF NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8D.html
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/1933/AF NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4D IF.html

What you are trying to accomplish is to get the notch where the finder will fit just so and then your camera will know what the aperture is set to.

Be careful not to get filings down into the lens.

Let us know how it goes, will you? I have bid on a couple of lenses just to give it a try but unsuccessfully thus far.

What you are trying to accomplish is to get the notch where the finder will fit just so and then your camera will know what the aperture is set to.

Alright, excuse my ignorance, but where is this "finder"? Is it the little switch that sits just outside the lens opening on the body at about 8 0'clock? I don't know what it could be.

Be careful not to get filings down into the lens.

Let us know how it goes, will you? I have bid on a couple of lenses just to give it a try but unsuccessfully thus far.

I'll remove the aperture ring before doing any work to it so I won't get filings in the lens or break anything.

I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I can get a handle on what it is I'm doing. :lol:

It's that small piece of steel that gets bent if you don't have the notch cut out of the aperture ring. It moves around the lens opening and is spring loaded to snap back into position when you take the lens off (which also keeps it tight to the edge of the notch).

It's that small piece of steel that gets bent if you don't have the notch cut out of the aperture ring. It moves around the lens opening and is spring loaded to snap back into position when you take the lens off (which also keeps it tight to the edge of the notch).

Ok, I think this is where my confusion was coming in. Unless, I'm grossly mistaken, the D80 does not have that piece.

Most reactions

Back