What's new

Any favorite landscape photographers?

IpseLux12 11

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Sep 17, 2026
Messages
117
Reaction score
63
Location
East TN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A bit of a preamble, if I may.... I sincerely dislike the current trend of landscape photography that exploits super wide angle scenes, HDR or image stacking, over sharpens and over boosts saturation, and makes the mundane, like rocks or twigs or even a gravel road appear majestic, like the Grand Canyon! Ha! Ha! I find it tacky and wacky, to say the least.
Everything is unnaturally sharp, the light and colors are pure fantasy, shadows glowing with detail, the themes are often exaggerated grandeur, .... I mean this as no disrespect to those who like Kincaide paintings, but a lot of landscapes look like Kincaide paintings to me.
Ok. If that offends you, understand it is meant as just my opinion. We all have one. My intend is not to offend. But to mention a photographer I've just discovered, who I absolutely love: Marcin Sobas.
Wow! Just Wow!!! Check him out.
The light. It's all about the light. And the ambience and feeling. And yes, the colors are modern and bright, but their tonality and intensity complement the scenes beautifully.
Marcin Sobas folks. Young man is doing it right, IMHO.
 
Taste is certainly subjective. I did check out this photographer's site. He clearly gets around, and goes high. You mentioned your dislike of overly saturated images; it could be my phone but I found a few of his looking a mite overky tweaked. That, and a certain sameness of approach are really my only nits: he clearly knows how he likes to process his images and the scenery itself is gorgeous.

I personally like B&W landscapes in addition to color, and tend not to care for color bombs - but, there are exceptions to everything when it comes to art. :)

I don't have any favorites in landscape photography.
 
A bit of a preamble, if I may.... I sincerely dislike the current trend of landscape photography that exploits super wide angle scenes, HDR or image stacking, over sharpens and over boosts saturation, and makes the mundane, like rocks or twigs or even a gravel road appear majestic, like the Grand Canyon! Ha! Ha! I find it tacky and wacky, to say the least.
Everything is unnaturally sharp, the light and colors are pure fantasy, shadows glowing with detail, the themes are often exaggerated grandeur, .... I mean this as no disrespect to those who like Kincaide paintings, but a lot of landscapes look like Kincaide paintings to me.
Ok. If that offends you, understand it is meant as just my opinion. We all have one. My intend is not to offend. But to mention a photographer I've just discovered, who I absolutely love: Marcin Sobas.
Wow! Just Wow!!! Check him out.
The light. It's all about the light. And the ambience and feeling. And yes, the colors are modern and bright, but their tonality and intensity complement the scenes beautifully.
Marcin Sobas's folks. Young man is doing it right, IMHO.
I think Sobas also uses Photoshop a lot to overemphasize the light and the colors and exaggerate grandeur. I doubt if most of those pictures were captured by the camera as they are finally shown. Like Kincaide. Now he is an oil painter, so much of his work comes from his head, not a capture of reality as we photographers do.
 
Yes. They are definitely manipulated. I suppose my opinion of color is this, and it comes from Japanese art: many colors blind the eye. These are bright. But their palette works for me. The works I refer to and am thinking of often have all the colors, all at once.
The colors I'm seeing on some of these images come straight out of the camera processing. I've used them myself, especially that vivid, almost neon green. That one is irrevocably a sensor color from the camera.
 
Taste is certainly subjective. I did check out this photographer's site. He clearly gets around, and goes high. You mentioned your dislike of overly saturated images; it could be my phone but I found a few of his looking a mite overky tweaked. That, and a certain sameness of approach are really my only nits: he clearly knows how he likes to process his images and the scenery itself is gorgeous.

I personally like B&W landscapes in addition to color, and tend not to care for color bombs - but, there are exceptions to everything when it comes to art. :)

I don't have any favorites in landscape photography.
Well, it might be my own perception of color too. I think I'm slightly color blind, and do tend to favor these weird, almost neon greens.... Attached is my rendition of Earth. Upside down, the schematic rendition of the clouds become breaking waves.
These are from a series, Planetary Landscapes from 2021.
Often my photos have similar green values.
And yes, art is subjective. Kincaide and landscapes like his are indeed very, very popular.
Kind regards.
 

Attachments

  • 20210617_153018(1).webp
    20210617_153018(1).webp
    416.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210628_234350(1).webp
    20210628_234350(1).webp
    459.3 KB · Views: 1
I'll stick with Ansel Adams. Or myself for that matter. Could care less for anybody else.
 
I'll stick with Ansel Adams. Or myself for that matter. Could care less for anybody else.
I certainly like Adams. Elliot Porter is another favorite. I've had the opportunity to see Adams' prints in person. Not so with Porter's. On my bucket list.
Best wishes on your photography W.
 
I like reality in colors and I might add a bit of light to pictures to capture the full dynamic range I want
To capture. I shoot wide and I also like to shoot and stick together shots so you can really dive in and see the details. That said unless there is a nice sunrise or sunset and the proper clouds landscapes are pretty boring. I would rather shoot people.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom