Any lowcost DSLR to recommend

My previous DSLR was a Canon 10D. Wonderful camera at the time and probably obtainable pretty darn cheap used now. Before that, I had a D30 (3mp) which was also pretty nice. I sold it to a friend who still uses it as their primary camera till this day. The D60 is basically the same camera as the D30 with an updated sensor bringing in at 6mp. For entry level, a well maintained D60 will also be an option.

From the Pentax side of things, I've been seeing the Pentax *ist DSLRs going for under $350 used from vendors. The nice thing about Pentax is that it is backwards compatible with their old manual K-mount lenses. These Pentax/takumar K-mount lenses have pretty darn good optics and can be obtained (via ebay for example) REALLY cheap. If you can live without AF, a Pentax *ist DSLR with a Takumar 50mm f1.4 (or f2) is really hard to beat as a low cost starter.

What would you consider low cost? In what currency?

Canon, Konica-Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and Samsung all offer SLRs at what I would consider a low price, in other words around the same price as a high-end compact camera. A camera and a standard zoom lens for £300 or under $US 500. Those names are in no order of preference whatsoever (and if I have missed any out please let me know). Many of us have our preferred products or companies, but none of us know what's best for you. Short answer is yes, we could recommend many, but it might be easier if you first take a look around local camera shops or websites to find ones that meet your cost requirement.

My previous DSLR was a Canon 10D. Wonderful camera at the time and probably obtainable pretty darn cheap used now. Before that, I had a D30 (3mp) which was also pretty nice. I sold it to a friend who still uses it as their primary camera till this day. The D60 is basically the same camera as the D30 with an updated sensor bringing in at 6mp. For entry level, a well maintained D60 will also be an option.

From the Pentax side of things, I've been seeing the Pentax *ist DSLRs going for under $350 used from vendors. The nice thing about Pentax is that it is backwards compatible with their old manual K-mount lenses. These Pentax/takumar K-mount lenses have pretty darn good optics and can be obtained (via ebay for example) REALLY cheap. If you can live without AF, a Pentax *ist DSLR with a Takumar 50mm f1.4 (or f2) is really hard to beat as a low cost starter.

Hi,

I will probably check out Canon 10D... Thanks again

What would you consider low cost? In what currency?

Canon, Konica-Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and Samsung all offer SLRs at what I would consider a low price, in other words around the same price as a high-end compact camera. A camera and a standard zoom lens for £300 or under $US 500. Those names are in no order of preference whatsoever (and if I have missed any out please let me know). Many of us have our preferred products or companies, but none of us know what's best for you. Short answer is yes, we could recommend many, but it might be easier if you first take a look around local camera shops or websites to find ones that meet your cost requirement.

Hi,

Thanks for the information :)

While the Canon 10D is a great camera...it is kind of odd in that it isn't made to be used with Canon EF-S lenses (which the 20D, 30D and all the Rebels are)...so it is limited in that way.

If you are considering a used DSLR, I'd suggest a 20D instead. There were many improvements made on the 20D from the 10D.

There are plenty of other good choices as well.

While the Canon 10D is a great camera...it is kind of odd in that it isn't made to be used with Canon EF-S lenses (which the 20D, 30D and all the Rebels are)...so it is limited in that way.

If you are considering a used DSLR, I'd suggest a 20D instead. There were many improvements made on the 20D from the 10D.

There are plenty of other good choices as well.

OK... I will check out the 20D too...

Most reactions

Back