What's new

New camera suggestions.

TXHotShots

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 26, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have a Nikon D3200 camera and am considering purchasing a new camera package. I haven’t ever gotten paid to take or sell pictures but I am hopeful to break out into that at some point, but only as a side gig so I’m willing to spend a few thousand but I am not a professional. I understand the basics of the different settings but still struggle to get my camera to work exactly how I want it to at times. For instance, I take a lot of outdoor action pictures but even when I adjust the settings, I can’t always get the shutter speed I’m looking for. I’m not sure if that is just my ignorance or I need a camera that gives me a little more control? Like I said mostly I take outdoor pictures, a lot of action but not necessarily high speed. I prefer Nikon brand but am open to any brand with comparable benefits. My distance varies greatly from small and up close (flowers) to far off (wildlife), so lens recommendations would be great as well. Durability would be a great bonus. Pictures included for reference. Thank you for your suggestions!
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0199.webp
    DSC_0199.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0294.webp
    DSC_0294.webp
    574.4 KB · Views: 11
I'll answer your question with a question.

What is it that your current camera cannot do?
If you can't answer that...... you want, not need a new camera and that new camera won't be as much of a game changer for you until you can answer that.

Something like not getting the shutter speed correct is a user not camera issue.

I honestly think you should hold off on the new camera until you KNOW it is thee D3200 holding you back and not just you need a bit more time behind the camera.

Anyone that suggests otherwise doesn't understand or didn't read your situation.
 
I have multiple specific reasons for wanting a new camera including it having missing pieces and overheating among other issues, I’m aware that a new camera wont strictly improve my photography. I’m not looking for justification in buying a new one, I don’t know anyone who knows cameras and am looking for recommendations on what would be a good upgrade.
 
Some more detail on Zombiesniper's post: pick out a bunch of themes that you think might be areas to focus on as a side-gig. They could include various portraits (graduation/senior shots, couples), engagement and wedding portraits, various sports (not professional but youth teams), food. Read up about shooting each genre and then trying shooting it a couple of times. You'll have to do each for free at this point or just beg friends to let you try (ke: shoot some additional engagement photos besides what they contracted a photographer for). Identify (a) which genres you found interesting/something you'd like to do more of and (b) what it is your current setup can't do. For instance, I can tell you right now that your D3200 will suck at indoor ambient light shooting HS volleyball. You probably don't have a good enough lens to shoot wildlife.

Those deficiencies will tell you what you need to focus on with your next lens and body. If you just ask people "what should I get" then people will talk about what THEY like or what fits THEIR needs. And that isn't that useful for you.

Since you're currently shooting Nikon, it's not essential you upgrade to a Nikon. But if you find it user-friendly and like the menu setup, it's pretty similar to more advanced bodies. For instance, your D3200 batteries will work on most Nikon DSLRs and Mirrorless bodies. You might have a lens that is a useful backup lens (depending upon what you have and the body you buy)--but only if it's Nikon.

Next, depending upon what type of genre you're going to "focus" on (no pun intended) that is going to drive what kind of lens you buy. And frankly, a good lens will cost more than a good body. This is particularly true if you're talking wildlife or some sports

Finally, mirrorless is the way the industry is going. That said, for a hobby and a side gig, you should look at a used DSLR from someplace like Adorama. A really good used Nikon DSLR will cost you 20% less than a comparable Nikon Mirrorless camera. Which means more money for lens. And other stuff you'll need depending upon the genre (backdrops if you're going to shoot portraits, rain gear if you're going to shoot youth sports, gimbal if you're going to shoot birds in flight, various lights and light modifiers).
 
The late Nikon APS-C(crop sensor)bodies are worth a look now. The D7200 was among the best that's very affordable. Stay away from portraiture, weddings, engagements. There's already a herd out there. Quick, dirty and potentially profitable? Look at real estate, particularly interiors. Most is shot--badly--on phones. There's the old advice, too: when everyone's serving hamburgers, try hot dogs. Good luck.
 
All I know is Nikon and if you are wanting to stay with a Nikon dSLR and APS-C then a used D7200 or maybe a D500 (my favorite) will give you everything you are wanting. If video is important then mirrorless is the way to go. Nikon got into mirrorless late compared to other manufactures and their early offerings were found lacking. The latest Z Nikons with the expeed 7 processor are however, as good as anything from the other manufactures. (In my humble opinion) the best bang for your buck Nikon Z these days is the Z5II which is a full frame, has the expeed 7 processor and will do everything you need and more for many years to come.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom