Any of you computer nerds want to "sign off" on my new build before I buy?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The title says it all....I am looking at getting a new box to support my CS6 and LR4 software and just for personal use. This is my current configuration.

Any recommended changes? Thanks for looking...NERDS! :mrgreen: :geek:

Dell Precision 1650
Intel Core i7-3770 Processor (3.4 GHz) w/HD4000 Graphics
Windows 7
Energy Star Base/320W power
16GB Non-Ecc DDR3 RAM
512GB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 300
7200 RPM 1T HD (No RAID)
6x BluRay burner
MS Office
23" Flat Panel Widescreen monitor

What say you? Too much box? Too little?

If it weren't for the Dell...

also, what do you have for backup space?

apple.com FTW
bigthumb.gif

First I would skip Dell and put it together yourself. Second, for $20 more, you can get the i7-3770K which you can Overclock and will run stable at 4.2GHz. I'd also use a SSD for your OS and software and attach another Platter drive for your storage.

apple.com FTW
bigthumb.gif

I'd really like to go there but right now it's just too much $$$. I just bought that FLIPPING CS6 + LR4 "deal" from B&H and guess what? It doesn't work on my existing computer because I am running XP. My wife was already not happy about me spending $400 on that package, but when I told her I needed a new computer just to run the software, she was incensed. So here I am..

Last edited:
Looks potentially like a nice setup depending on the details for the components. I would make sure to get a wide gamut monitor and suitable calbration software + hardware. If you don't have the equipment to calibrate your monitor, a wide gamut monitor is pretty useless/frustrating for a photographer that needs accuracy. If that Quadra video card has a displayport, it should be able to output at 10 bit depth in case you get a decent monitor that can handle that stream. I didn't know to factor that in for my last build. Always buy a quality displayport cable (NEC sells one on thier monitor site) or don't bother buying one. Been there, experienced that. Most cheap ones have poor designs that don't handle the larger data stream correctly.

Doug

apple.com FTW
bigthumb.gif

Too much $$$. I just bought that FLIPPING CS6 + LR4 "deal" from B&H and guess what? It doesn't work on my existing computer because I am running XP. My wife was already not happy about me spending $400 on that package, but when I told her I needed a new computer just to run the software, she was incensed. So here I am..

Perhaps you just need to upgrade the OS to Win7 instead of buying a whole new computer?
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

First I would skip Dell and put it together yourself.

I am not a computer builder and I need something now. Not scared to try to build one myself, but I am not really in a position to even try to go there. I work 80 hour weeks and have 2 kids, one a baby, so my time is very limited.

Second, for $20 more, you can get the i7-3770K which you can Overclock and will run stable at 4.2GHz.

No clue how to do this, and really, for my purposes, I'm not trying to build "THE" machine. I just need a better box than I am currently running.

I'd also use a SSD for your OS and software and attach another Platter drive for your storage.

SSD is pricey, and again, you are talking a bit over my head at this point. :mrgreen:

Looks potentially like a nice setup depending on the details for the components. I would make sure to get a wide gamut monitor and suitable calbration software + hardware. If you don't have the equipment to calibrate your monitor, a wide gamut monitor is pretty useless/frustrating for a photographer that needs accuracy.

Thanks. I'm not a pro. I'm a hobbyist, and clearly everybody in this thread knows much more about computers than me. :mrgreen:

The 23" monitor on my build is the recommendation from Dell.

The title says it all....I am looking at getting a new box to support my CS6 and LR4 software and just for personal use. This is my current configuration.

Any recommended changes? Thanks for looking...NERDS! :mrgreen: :geek:

Dell Precision 1650
Windows 7
Energy Star Base/320W power
16GB Non-Ecc DDR3 RAM
512GB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 300
7200 RPM 1T HD (No RAID)
6x BluRay burner
MS Office
23" Flat Panel Widescreen monitor

What say you? Too much box? Too little?

There is absolutely no need for that card. A regular grade consumber Nvidia will work fine and save you some cash. I mean, unless you're planning on doing 3d rendering, video, or other things that will really tax a graphics card. I'd recommend a small SSD for the OS if you can afford it and then a second drive for your programs and storage.

Also, the monitor may be a waste unless it's at least an IPS panel. And 23" is a little small.

Also as recommended, building it is cheaper. If you can't do that, find a company that pre-builds computers with standard parts. Dell generally uses proprietary components that make upgrading as much of a hassle as upgrading an Apple computer. The Dell will have a warranty that will cover everything, but if you're not computer illiterare, you'd be able to fix any problems from another manufacture that arises out of warranty.

I am not a computer builder and I need something now. Not scared to try to build one myself, but I am not really in a position to even try to go there. I work 80 hour weeks and have 2 kids, one a baby, so my time is very limited.

It takes maybe 15 minutes.

Perhaps you just need to upgrade the OS to Win7 instead of buying a whole new computer?

Can you expand on this? Is it possible to just upgrade OS from XP to Win7 and be done with it?

My current computer is 6 years old. It seems to me that at some point, it's easier to go with a new box than upgrading the old one.

Plus, it would be nice to have multiple computers rather than fighting over just one.

Can you expand on this? Is it possible to just upgrade OS from XP to Win7 and be done with it?

My current computer is 6 years old. It seems to me that at some point, it's easier to go with a new box than upgrading the old one.

Plus, it would be nice to have multiple computers rather than fighting over just one.

Yes you can upgrade JUST the OS. As long as your computer meets the minimum requirements for the OS, you're set. If it doesn't, you may be able to do something as simple as add RAM for $40 and be on your way. What are the spec's on your current box?

Most reactions

Back