Any of you computer nerds want to "sign off" on my new build before I buy?

Jumping in here late and I am new to this forum but had to put my 2 cents in. I learned the hard way not to spend money on overclocked gaming computers for graphic design. I can run all listed programs simultaneously without any issues on this HP. ($500)

Computer - HP Pavillion
AMD Quad-Core A6-3620
8GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6530D
1TB HD
1 TB HP External HD ($80)

CS 5 Suite
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Fireworks. As these are the main programs that I use. In addition, I run MS word, MS Outlook, 10 -20 browser tabs in Chrome, 5 - 10 tabs in Firefox, and several in IE. I run iTunes all day and Safari when I have to for checking browser compatibility on new designs. Oh, and now, add LightRoom to that list.

So if you're looking to simply do graphic design and/or process photos, something like this HP that my family now owns 5 of, will more than do the trick. Believe me, I was a sucker and got sold on gaming rigs for graphic design but I learned my lesson. If you're not playing games on it, they aren't good for much more than bragging rights. (That's not to say that they aren't great computers, it's just over kill in my opinion)

Always happy to get additional comments. Here is my final set up and I don't think I did poorly (and I don't want to hear "dude, you're a sucker"):

Intel i7 processor at 3.5GHz
16GB DDR RAM
Win 7
1T hard drive at 7200 rpm
24" flat panel IPS monitor
Energy Star base at 320v
Blu Ray burner
Etc.

TTL drive out about $2k.

Jumping in here late and I am new to this forum but had to put my 2 cents in. I learned the hard way not to spend money on overclocked gaming computers for graphic design. I can run all listed programs simultaneously without any issues on this HP. ($500)

Computer - HP Pavillion
AMD Quad-Core A6-3620
8GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6530D
1TB HD
1 TB HP External HD ($80)

CS 5 Suite
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Fireworks. As these are the main programs that I use. In addition, I run MS word, MS Outlook, 10 -20 browser tabs in Chrome, 5 - 10 tabs in Firefox, and several in IE. I run iTunes all day and Safari when I have to for checking browser compatibility on new designs. Oh, and now, add LightRoom to that list.

So if you're looking to simply do graphic design and/or process photos, something like this HP that my family now owns 5 of, will more than do the trick. Believe me, I was a sucker and got sold on gaming rigs for graphic design but I learned my lesson. If you're not playing games on it, they aren't good for much more than bragging rights. (That's not to say that they aren't great computers, it's just over kill in my opinion)

Always happy to get additional comments. Here is my final set up and I don't think I did poorly (and I don't want to hear "dude, you're a sucker"):

Intel i7 processor at 3.5GHz
16GB DDR RAM
Win 7
1T hard drive at 7200 rpm
24" flat panel IPS monitor
Energy Star base at 320v
Blu Ray burner
Etc.

TTL drive out about $2k.

Nah, I'm not here to call you a sucker. I was merely commenting on my own self evaluation. I am a graphic designer and have worked on everything from Mac, to Brand Name PC, to custom built gaming machines. You can never have too much power. I was coming at this strictly from a monetary stand point. But if money isn't an issue, more power to you! :) You have more than enough machine there to do pretty much whatever you want. ;)

Nah, I'm not here to call you a sucker. I was merely commenting on my own self evaluation. I am a graphic designer and have worked on everything from Mac, to Brand Name PC, to custom built gaming machines. You can never have too much power. I was coming at this strictly from a monetary stand point. But if money isn't an issue, more power to you! :) You have more than enough machine there to do pretty much whatever you want. ;)

My bad. I wasn't suggesting that you are calling me a sucker. :mrgreen: I was referring to a number of others in the thread who were suggesting I go with a Mac (too much $$$) and were pushing hard for an SSD, etc.

I'd like a Mac but I don't want to spend the $$ on one.

Most reactions

Back