Any opinons of New York Institute of Photography?

johng426

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.blindeyemagi.com
I was wondering if anyone here has taken the New York Institute of Photography's course? If so, what are your opinions of it?

I'm an amateur photographer just looking to learn more, i'm not interested in pursuing photography professionally. Does this course provide enough meat on the bone to be worth the $998 price?

I you have any comments, praise or criticisim for the NYIP, please let me know.

John Gilmore

i have heard nothing but great things about nyip. i have seen many photos that were created by students enrolled and graduates and they are all very well done. several famous photographers have also attended there if i remember right.

I took the NYIP course in 1983 and went full time into professional photography in 1985. If you learn fairly easily from reading, then this course is for you. I'm surprised it is only $998.00. It was $698.00 in 1983, and I am sure it is a better course now than it was back then.

This course will only give you the basics, but you really need the basics before you can advance. Lots of people think they don't need any proper training because after all they are 'artists' and learning something from a book will 'hinder their creativity'. That is why you find so many nearly new cameras for sale on ebay. They see the commercials where the young guy whips up the camera and fires without barely even looking through the viewfinder, and a split second later he has a perfectly exposed and absolutely beautiful image without even a whisper of a thought, so they go out and buy one. The images they get however are poorly exposed, fuzzy or blurry and look like a two year old was holding the camera.

Benji

you may benefit more from a community college course. then you would also have access to their darkroom and any equipment they lend out.

also, you get to see all the work made by your classmates which can be very inspiring. and it may be cheaper too. :)

Thank you all for your comments.

I guess I should be a little more detailed. I'm considering the NYIP Digital Photography course. I'm not sure exactly how it differs from their regular photography course.

I'm not really interested in working with film and darkrooms, so that is why I'm considering this course.

I would love to take a course locally, but I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest community college is over an hour away and that makes it a little hard to manage.

Thanks again.

John Gilmore

johng426 said:
I'm an amateur photographer just looking to learn more, i'm not interested in pursuing photography professionally.
johng426 said:
I guess I should be a little more detailed. I'm considering the NYIP Digital Photography course. I'm not sure exactly how it differs from their regular photography course.

I'm not really interested in working with film and darkrooms, so that is why I'm considering this course.
My suggestion is to enroll for the their 'Professional Photography' course. It teaches you the basics, which is very pivotal. Darkroom and film is only a small part of it. You do not necessarily have to do it if you do not want to. And there is absolutely no pressure to become a pro after completing that course. :)

For digital, I would get Scott Kelby's books and/or spend some good time at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/.

I'm taking the course right now, and I have to say that having someone critque your photos that worked for both Reuters and AP certainly makes you realize, that you better produce good work, or you'll hear about it via the cassette tape that is sent back with your photo project.

2 of the 3 I sent in for project #1 I knew where awesome, but that 3rd was lacking and thats exactly what i was told.

People always say that it just teaches you the basics, but you learned to walk before you ran didn't you?

I have seen hundreds of thousands of Motocross pics where the wheels are stopped dead in their tracks. If your riding or racing the wheels should be turning and the picture should show this. That and many other things are quickly forgotten by most people that scoff at this course.

My thoughts................JUST DO IT!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back