Any recommendations for Film and Slide Scanner?

RHFphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a film and slide scanner that will allow me to scan old pictures in for restoration. Quality of the image is very important, but I also want good value for my money. Any recommendations?

Scanning is a time-consuming process, I'd have it done professionally.

If you insist on doing it yourself, steer towards a flatbed like the epson d700 as it will scan 24 negatives at once, instead of one-by-one like the dedicated film scanners.

Yes, scanning film is very slow...

What format is the film you need scanned?

The Canon 8800f works well for me. 35mm and medium format both scan nicely.

It can take a some time if you scan to the highest resolutions, but it's still not that long; not as long as driving somewhere to have it done, or mailing them off to somewhere to have them done. At resolutions for the web or screen viewing in particular, it really doesn't take very long at all, and while it's scanning a batch of negatives, you can always be doing other things for those couple of minutes; Checking email, playing a game, reading and posting here, editing photos, or whatever.

The Canon 8800f works well for me. 35mm and medium format both scan nicely.

It can take a some time if you scan to the highest resolutions, but it's still not that long; not as long as driving somewhere to have it done, or mailing them off to somewhere to have them done. At resolutions for the web or screen viewing in particular, it really doesn't take very long at all, and while it's scanning a batch of negatives, you can always be doing other things for those couple of minutes; Checking email, playing a game, reading and posting here, editing photos, or whatever.

The canon 8800 f is a flatbed also, it will do 12 frames of 35mm film at once, which saves a lot of time.

The epson v700 can scan twice as many frames at one time as the canon 8800, but cost around twice as much as the canon.

I´ve been using a HP Scanjet 4050 with Vuescan software and till now I'm very satisfied with the results, specially with B&W photos. It is a flatbed scanner but has special frames for negatives (30 each time) and slides. It does take a time when scanning at optimum resolutions, but if you consider scanning and treating negatives as digital images as a hobby I bet it wil not be a problem for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back