Any thoughts?: Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

theres a big difference between suggesting a cheap lense, and making a claim that its as good as one of the leading line of lenses. by no means am i saying that he shouldnt take a cheap third party lense into consideration for the sake of saving money, if that is a major issue. i simply find humor in your comparison.

I don't find that comparison humorous...I think it's a smart idea. Nobody said that the Sigma was better than the Canon...we all know it isn't.
You should compare it to the L lens and see what you think
Good idea.
many professional industry reviews have stated that the Sigma is nearly as good as the Canon L
I've heard good reviews too. It's obviously not as good as the Canon...but for 1/3 of the cost...the price/performance ratio is better than the Canon.

There is no reason to be a gear snob.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am still sitting on the fence. The only real thing, and this might just be my enlarged ego speaking, but if I'm going to spend $1100 I would really like to have the red ring. If the truth be known the 17-70 2.8 IS may actually be the better lens to suit my needs at this time, but I just really wish I could feel totally confident with my purchase buying an L lens.

again, that just may be my ego speaking.

Thanks
Ben

Sigma and Tamron make some great glass, not to be discounted. I will also say that if you are looking to improve your photoraphy, buying new equipment isn't the answer, nor is measurebating about it. ;)

If your canon has a 1.6 crop factor (and I think it does) then the 17-55 is like a 27-88 (+/-).

+1 on the Canon 24-70... or even better yet find one of the 28-70L's out there... both are great lenses and the 28-70L wont rape you in price...

If you're really set on buying the L glass, I'd say go for it. The L line is a fabulous series of lenses, and it's hard to go wrong. I just wanted to suggest an alternative if the price was a factor at all. Despite what some might think, the Sigma is not a cheap lens, although it's certainly less expensive than the Canon L. When I took the price/performance ratio into account, and after test driving both lenses, I bought the Sigma. When I bought my Minolta equipment, it was a no-brainer for me to buy it again.

Again, however, if you've got your heart set on L glass, I say buy it and have no regrets.

Hi Ben,
I have a variety of lenses on both a 5d and a 1d and of all my lenses (L and otherwise) the 24-70 is my favourite. It is sheer quality both in the way it is made and in the image quality. I have even dropped it from waist height onto concrete while working and it is absolutely fine. (Change of trousers, that one!). The only caution I would say is that it is not a particularly useful focal length on a 20D however if you search for the best price on the internet then you will not lose if you decide to sell it and you will have a fantastic lens for when you move to full frame. Cheers Chris.

I've got the 24-70 and It's dynamite. If you are planning on upgrading to a 5d like you previously said, stick with the L glass, Some sigma's may be comparable on a cropped sensor, But on a full-frame the difference become extremely noticable. I was thinking of getting the sigma but I plan on purchasing a 5d soon, I went down, rented the sigma, the "L" and a 5d and compared them. You should do the same if you have the resources. Its a big purchase and you shouldn't always rely on the word of others, it sets you off in the right direction but ultimately you have to be the judge!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back