Any way to fix non responsive apature blades?

xypex982

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always am going to thrift stores looking for old cameras at good prices, but one thing that I often come across is that the aperture blades a lot of the time don't seem to want to respond and are sometimes completely shut. Is this common when a camera is older or hasn't been used in a long time? Is it easily fixable, preferably by myself.

I gather you are talking RF cameras. The blades can be cleaned by an owner if they are real handy with tools and machinery. Generally the lens must be disassembled.
Ronsonal is very good for cleaning blades.

I always am going to thrift stores looking for old cameras at good prices, but one thing that I often come across is that the aperture blades a lot of the time don't seem to want to respond and are sometimes completely shut. Is this common when a camera is older or hasn't been used in a long time? Is it easily fixable, preferably by myself.

Yes, it's very common on older leaf shutter cameras. Lubricant, dust and
other gunk gets on the blades and gums up the works.

They need to be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.

If it's a folding camera that has a cocking shutter then the job of cleaning the shutter/aperture blades is quite simple.

Thanks for the info guys. Would I need special camera tools to disable and fix them? My dad has a garage full of tools, and even some small jewler tools would they do? All the cameras I see with the problem are rangefinders. I may have to hold off on getting more cameras because I am getting a diana and a lomo juicebox camera, and before I get crazy with all my new gear I need to get a film scanner, but who knows the cMeras at thrift stores are just too cheap to resist! A fully working great condition cannon IV SB for $6!

...but who knows the cMeras at thrift stores are just too cheap to resist! A fully working great condition cannon IV SB for $6!

Ooooh!... You lucky son of a gun!!! Did you end up buying it?:lol:

My friends sister did, it works fine, we just need a light meter.

Thanks for the info guys. Would I need special camera tools to disable and fix them? My dad has a garage full of tools, and even some small jewler tools would they do? All the cameras I see with the problem are rangefinders. I may have to hold off on getting more cameras because I am getting a diana and a lomo juicebox camera, and before I get crazy with all my new gear I need to get a film scanner, but who knows the cMeras at thrift stores are just too cheap to resist! A fully working great condition cannon IV SB for $6!

Yes, you'll need special tools. Some you may need to make yourself.
One supplier of tools is:
Micro-Tools, Camera & Watch Repair Tools - Home

Be advised that camera repair/servicing is more difficult than it may first
appear. First attempts often result in a box full of camera parts. :wink:

Start off learning with junk cameras that you don't care about.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back