Anybody ever photographed a Cage Fight?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anybody ever photographed a Cage Fight?

This one's kind of out there, but I've just been asked to be the photographer for a cage fight on Dec 22. It's a nationally televised thing.

Pros:
  • good experience
  • different
  • probably pays well
  • good to add to portfolio to show I can do a variety of sports
  • good publicity
Cons:
  • Is this safe to carry $3k of gear to?
  • I'm baptist, so this is a bit crazy sounding!
Has anyone photographed something like this?

if you have insurance on your gear then don't worry. I've never done it but I'd be questioning the tempers of drunk spectators who are "into fighting". I'd hate for a guy to flip out because I was in his way trying to take a picture so he breaks my camera. Another con is that, before the fight, you can play with settings a bit pointed at the ring, and set white balance and whatever, then leave your camera to manually expose correctly everytime, getting impressive shots quicker than it takes for changing settings mid event like most sports. It'll be 2 guys in a cage with constant light (I think) unless there are strobes for show purposes. Well either way, good luck, I'd do it for the portfolio reason more than not, but I'd probably only go once.

If this is a REAL cage match...there's no worries about your gear. The spectators might get a little rowdy...but usually the people who are allowed in the front row anywhere near the ring, are officials and family members.

The fighters are not allowed out of the ring, or they will be forfeited automatically.

(this is all assuming it's similar to UFC rules...)

It could be some country hoe down thing...and in that case....good luck.

A good friend of mine just did a Cage Fight and she was a bit worried. But she had a great time and got some superb shots. Take a lens cleaning cloth though...

A good friend of mine just did a Cage Fight and she was a bit worried. But she had a great time and got some superb shots. Take a lens cleaning cloth though...

Ahh yes. I forgot to mention the projectile blood and spit, and sometimes a mixture of the two.

well I'll be doing the cage fight. I was telling my dad about this, and apparently he watches it on TV often. He showed me an event on tv, and it was honestly really fun looking. There are plenty of rules. It's a Mixed Martial Arts thing... not a fight til the death deal.

Anyway it will be good experience and I hope to have some good pictures to show after the 22nd.

My cousin shoots those things and loves them. I asked him for essential advice and he's in agreement about the lens wipes. Other than that, just have fun and don't worry about your equipment.

Most reactions

Back