Anybody know of a calculator or simulator for size of bokeh balls?

Let's see... a baker named Bokeh does a guest spot on an NPR radio show?

Probably not quite as funny as the original.

Let's see... a baker named Bokeh does a guest spot on an NPR radio show?

Probably not quite as funny as the original.

I am now in a triangle of malaise.

Yummy Bokeh Balls with a nice, piping hot Circle of Confusion!

My morning snack.

A stimulator?
for bokeh balls??

I'm intrigued :eek:

300/2.8 = big bokeh balls

20mm f/2.8 = small bokeh balls.

The bigger the lens, the bigger the balls. :mrgreen:

Have you given this site a shot? Newest Questions - Photography Stack Exchange

This is the sort of question that tends to do well over there (well-defined, with an actual "right" answer possible).

This forum laughs at the notion of a "right" answer. Ha ha ha. Just like that.

(The nearest thing to a correct answer has already been given, I think - by photoguy99. )

Yeah, seems like this forum is just a bunch of people not knowing the answer justifying themselves by jumping on the OP and making it sound like a dumb question.

Yeah, seems like this forum is just a bunch of people not knowing the answer justifying themselves by jumping on the OP and making it sound like a dumb question.

It is a dumb question.

I know of not one photograph that was rejected because of the bokeh. Or the size of the "bokeh balls."

I was told bokeh was of major importance here. I did not believe it. After looking it up, lol. I now have to believe what is incredibly unbelievable.

I have a photograph of my son with the Christmas tree in the background. The bokeh balls from the lights turned out perfect. Any smaller, and they'd probably be too distracting. Any bigger, and they wouldn't look like a Christmas tree. If you wanted to setup and didn't have time to experiment, it would be handy to know the settings to create ideal bokeh balls given your lens, distance, or whatever is your fixed variable. Especially if you're not using digital. Just one example; not sure if this is what OP is after.

How to Take Beautiful Bokeh Christmas Images [With 39 Stunning Examples] - Digital Photography School

Last edited:
I have a photograph of my son with the Christmas tree in the background. The bokeh balls from the lights turned out perfect. Any smaller, and they'd probably be too distracting. Any bigger, and they wouldn't look like a Christmas tree. If you wanted to setup and didn't have time to experiment, it would be handy to know the settings to create ideal bokeh balls given your lens, distance, or whatever is your fixed variable. Especially if you're not using digital. Just one example; not sure if this is what OP is after.

How to Take Beautiful Bokeh Christmas Images [With 39 Stunning Examples] - Digital Photography School

A couple comments:

2nd one down: 5196894990_ece309ac67_z.jpg shows "onion bokeh"...easily-seen,multiple concentric circles in the bokeh balls...ASPHERICAL element lens design; guess? maybe Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC.

3rd shot down, tree with feet in socks. STRONG 5-sided bokeh balls. Guess? CANON 50mm f/1.8 EF, one of the very few modern lenses with a 5-blade diaphragm.

Most reactions

Back