Anyone else not so crazy about photoshop?

clemaire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
To me, the way people manipulate pictures nowadays is kind of cheating. All these effects people add is cool and all, but its not as special as the original photograph. It's too artificial for my taste. I took a photography class and the majority of the time spent in class was learning how to use photoshop. I would have much rather have been learning real techniques and how to get effects without manipulating it in a computer. Any thoughts on this?

I prefer using lens filters but using software instead, gives the photographer more options.

Please, not another I never edit my photos thread :(

Photoshop is a TOOL. It can be used correctly or wrongly (is that a word?) To say you don't use Photoshop is to say you don't know or want to know how to use it properly ;)

Art is art! Filter, cheat, edit, stack exposures, scribble on it with a sharpie, doesn't matter to me... If it speaks to someone then it's good art!

I would have much rather have been learning real techniques and how to get effects without manipulating it in a computer. Any thoughts on this?

What kind of things are the real techniques which you feel were ignored?

A bad image is a bad image and PS wont make it better, a good image can be a great image with a little post in PS.

I suppose dodging and burning in a traditional darkroom is cheating? Same with cropping and enlarging? I suppose people who use film shouldn't push or pull their exposures. In addition, everyone should use the same film stock, because using an oversaturated film stock would be cheating.

Want to know a secret? Your camera processes each and every photo you take, making adjustments, just like Photoshop might make. And if you shoot RAW, you absolutely need something (like Photoshop) to process it, unless you want a terrible image.

Just like adding a filter to your lens, or changing the ISO, or any other tweak you can do "in camera," Photoshop is a tool to be used however the photographer (read: Artist) wishes to use it. If you choose not to use it, because it's "cheating" that's your choice. But that would be like trying to build a house without a hammer. It's certainly possible, but it's going to be much harder to accomplish, and the result will be terrible.

Gaerek said:
Photoshop is a tool to be used however the photographer (read: Artist) wishes to use it. If you choose not to use it, because it's "cheating" that's your choice. But that would be like trying to build a house without a hammer. It's certainly possible, but it's going to be much harder to accomplish, and the result will be terrible.
Hahahaha so any photos that don't go into photoshop are terrible? Wow so all photos before photoshop came out must be tormenting to look at. (and there is definitely things photoshop can do that they couldn't do in the darkroom)

I guess why use a stove, when you can go outside and start a fire with rocks and cook your own food.

To me, the way people manipulate pictures nowadays is kind of cheating. All these effects people add is cool and all, but its not as special as the original photograph. It's too artificial for my taste. I took a photography class and the majority of the time spent in class was learning how to use photoshop. I would have much rather have been learning real techniques and how to get effects without manipulating it in a computer. Any thoughts on this?

I feel you dog. I'm completely anti-photoshop. I don't sharpen, adjust contrast or nothing. I just get that **** right in the camera and don't have to worry about cheating like all the other losers out there. What's a layer?

Check out this one right here. I smacked her hand until it started glowing and told her if she moved, I'd be makin' her face glow next!

4528955783_a63c9ace9b.jpg

Its all art. Its all a matter of personal preference. There is no such thing as cheating in art.

Unless you can capture the wave / particle duality of the photons bouncing off your subject you are making compromises. :p

Gaerek said:
Photoshop is a tool to be used however the photographer (read: Artist) wishes to use it. If you choose not to use it, because it's "cheating" that's your choice. But that would be like trying to build a house without a hammer. It's certainly possible, but it's going to be much harder to accomplish, and the result will be terrible.
Hahahaha so any photos that don't go into photoshop are terrible? Wow so all photos before photoshop came out must be tormenting to look at. (and there is definitely things photoshop can do that they couldn't do in the darkroom)
I think you missed the part where he said if you shoot RAW then it must have PP otherwise it looks awful.

I assume that you shoot film and not digital? Surely you're not a hypocrite..?? Based on your theory shooting digital is cheating as well. Maybe you should learn how to get that junk done with one shot instead of shooting and reviewing. I also assume that you shoot full manual with your film body? If not, you are cheating by letting the camera do a lot of the work instead of creating the art with your own knowledge and abilities.

Digital is for posers. Film RULES!!

Most reactions

Back