Anyone got the 7200 yet?

Your welcome

You're*

1. You're implying that I don't know how to read a histogram

And 2. Not every scene is evenly balanced where one exposure will cover all the tonal values. For example, photographing osprey I need to spot meter their white feathers otherwise I'd get a bunch of blown out highlights. On my 750 I can expose for the highlights and pull out shadow detail no problem even at iso1600 or higher without introducing a ton of noise. Even at base ISO on this camera I have to nail the exposure because trying to bring out shadow detail ends up looking terrible. Maybe I should just ask the ospreys to hold still while I bracket a few frames for HDR?
don't know about the 7200, but i been saying the 7100 is scared of the dark for about a year and a half now. Depending on the light (as you mentioned exposure) i can push it up to about 1600 usually with a usable image and no major noise reduction.. Really like to stay under a thousand though. I would like to suggest that there is a a "fixed point" of actual usable iso. But there really isn't, all depends on the scene. Sometimes you have to or want to under expose. Higher iso's go soft and the shadow recovery can become problem some.. Not to say they can't be done, depends.. Keep in mind the 750 is full frame and twice the price. Two totally different levels.

I just upgraded from a D90 to a D7200 and the difference in low light performance is night and day. With the D90 anything over 800 looks like crap. With the 7200, I can comfortably shoot at 6400. That's 3 full stops. I did consider the D750 but I like the extra reach that I'm getting with a DX camera when using telephoto lenses.

Your welcome

You're*

1. You're implying that I don't know how to read a histogram

And 2. Not every scene is evenly balanced where one exposure will cover all the tonal values. For example, photographing osprey I need to spot meter their white feathers otherwise I'd get a bunch of blown out highlights. On my 750 I can expose for the highlights and pull out shadow detail no problem even at iso1600 or higher without introducing a ton of noise. Even at base ISO on this camera I have to nail the exposure because trying to bring out shadow detail ends up looking terrible. Maybe I should just ask the ospreys to hold still while I bracket a few frames for HDR?
don't know about the 7200, but i been saying the 7100 is scared of the dark for about a year and a half now. Depending on the light (as you mentioned exposure) i can push it up to about 1600 usually with a usable image and no major noise reduction.. Really like to stay under a thousand though. I would like to suggest that there is a a "fixed point" of actual usable iso. But there really isn't, all depends on the scene. Sometimes you have to or want to under expose. Higher iso's go soft and the shadow recovery can become problem some.. Not to say they can't be done, depends.. Keep in mind the 750 is full frame and twice the price. Two totally different levels.

I just upgraded from a D90 to a D7200 and the difference in low light performance is night and day. With the D90 anything over 800 looks like crap. With the 7200, I can comfortably shoot at 6400. That's 3 full stops. I did consider the D750 but I like the extra reach that I'm getting with a DX camera when using telephoto lenses.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great camera. I'm sending it back to lensprotogo tomorrow and I will miss the extra reach, and in good light it's pretty awesome.

I just made the upgrade from the D5100 to the D7200. I am really happy with my purchase.

I was looking into getting the d7200 or the Nikon 610. From your experience, does the wider ISO range compensate in low-light situations? I am not sure if going with a full-frame will give me more bang for my buck than the possibly "gimmicky" ISO range. I am working with very old equipment so I am open to getting one of two new FX lens' with the camera. I was looking to do a broad range of photography (weddings, horses, vineyards, videos, ect). Any advice would be greatly appreciated between choosing the 7200 or 610.

I purchased a D610 about 6 weeks back or so....I had the D7100 and actually planned on keeping that as well but honestly after using the 610 for a few weeks I had no reason to keep the 7100... will put the money into another lens..... but yeah I would say if you can afford the D610 you will not be disappointed....I had no idea what I was missing until I went to a full frame and experienced it, at least for what I shoot, it makes a huge difference.....

I was looking into getting the d7200 or the Nikon 610. From your experience, does the wider ISO range compensate in low-light situations? I am not sure if going with a full-frame will give me more bang for my buck than the possibly "gimmicky" ISO range. I am working with very old equipment so I am open to getting one of two new FX lens' with the camera. I was looking to do a broad range of photography (weddings, horses, vineyards, videos, ect). Any advice would be greatly appreciated between choosing the 7200 or 610.

I purchased a D610 about 6 weeks back or so....I had the D7100 and actually planned on keeping that as well but honestly after using the 610 for a few weeks I had no reason to keep the 7100... will put the money into another lens..... but yeah I would say if you can afford the D610 you will not be disappointed....I had no idea what I was missing until I went to a full frame and experienced it, at least for what I shoot, it makes a huge difference.....
My thoughts exactly. Great capabilities in the current FF sensors if you need it.

Thank you for making this thread. I was just about to ask the same thing.

I have been hiatus from this forum and photography in general for a few years and have recently picked up my camera again and would like to upgrade.
I currently have the D3000 so either one would be a pretty decent upgrade for me. I'm just wondering if the extra $$$ for the newer 7200 is worth it or if i should just go with the older 7100 model. I was looking at the specs side by side and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot different.

Most reactions

Back