Anyone have any experience with...

BLS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this lens: the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L USM?

I'm thinking of upgrading my lens to something sharper. I'm now using a 3- or 4-year old Tamron 28-300mm f3.5/6.3 on my 300D Rebel. It's been a relaible, serviceable lens, but I always wish my images could be sharper. I reviewed my collection of favorite shots from the past few years, and found that most of them were taken in the 28-70mm range, except for candid head shots of people at parties, picnics, etc.

I searched the Internet and read reviews on this lens (until my head hurt), and they've been favorable for the sharpness, color, and contrast. Although most mention that this is a heavy lens -- 2.1 lb. vs 1.3 lb. for my Tamron. Might make me use the tripod more often, which is certainly not bad, just incovenient.

Before purchasing the lens, I thought it would be a good idea to see if any of you have any opinions on it.

Thanks in advance.

It's a great lens and I've just seen some results from it at a model shoot I recently had. IMHO it's going to really please you by comparison to the Tamron.

Heaviness is probably a good sign - expensive/quality items are usually surprisingly heavy! Look at it as a bonus in terms of stability!

R
EDIT: I should point out that I don't own it, and I am a Nikon man, so it's very unusual for me to make such a recommendation - however, it's the truth - I was impressed with my friend's results. Simon's pic top-left is one with this lens

I don't have it, but like you, I have only read favorable reviews and heard great things about it. I doubt it's going to be heavy enough to make a tripod a necessity or anything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back