What's new

Anyone have luck with ebay?

Many Hats

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
New Mexico
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a new Canon 5D. Tempted to go ebay, but had a bad experience a couple years ago with a seller who had high pressure ad ons, bait and switch with the lenses, etc. Some of these prices seem to good to be true, but most feedback seems to be good. Anyone had a good experience with a seller they can recommend? One seller has a 5D with a 24-105 IS f/4L, memory card, bag and free ship for about $2800. (Yes, US warranty) Seems pretty reasonable without being wildly cheap and suspicious. HELP!!
 
All I can say is do your homework. If you feel at all uncomfortable with something...walk away, immediately. Every piece of camera equipment I currently have has come off of ebay, and not a bad experience.

I will go into the seller's feedback and email a few of his purchasers who have bought large dollar items, just to see how the transaction went, how was communication, shipping, packaging, etc. Beware of the person who has 200 feedback buying & selling $4 trinkets, and then all of a sudden has a $2000 camera or lens on the block....RUN AWAY.

Biggest thing is trust your gut & be prepared to say "no thanks", no matter how bad you want that item.
 
I recently got a speedo blackline setup from shutterblade off ebay. Very good experance. A few minor glitches that they worked out. A cord was missing , they sent it and refunded the shipping. Would buy from them again for sure.
 
Not trying to stereotype, but I have had similar experiences, not on ebay, but camera stores in general coming out of brooklyn new york. There seems to be a lot of bait and switch operations coming from there. Make sure you are extra careful with these shops, because I know there are a lot of ebay places operating out of new york. Many of them stress USA warranty and have things like extra percentage off for warrantys. I may be a little paranoid, but its always good to be cautious.
 
If you are buying new I would highly recommend that you buy from a bricks and mortar store - even if you actually buy from their website (B&H and Adorama usually have amongst the best prices in the US and you get proper warranties too). If however you are buying used - the advice about eBay above is good - although you may want to check B&H and Adorama for that too. I've bought a lot of equipment on eBay and it has always worked out just fine. Homework is the key...

I can't remember names but as mentioned above also, there are some rather shady online dealers (apparently some operating here in Brooklyn unfortunately!) and I'd steer well clear of them. Stick with well known stores and you'll be fine.
 
I to, have excellent results with eBay.

Look at feedback, look for transactions with similar items you are looking for. Read the comments.
If they do happen to have a negative feedback or two, read how they responded to them. if they are snide and un-accountable, then i don't deal with them. many times, the buyer that left them negative feedback is the one at fault.

Ask them a question, see if they are good at responding to communication.
 
Thanks for all the responses! I've just had crummy luck with ebay on a couple things. I do try and check feedback, but never considered emailing those people. Great idea! Now just have to convince hubby I really do need this camera.
 
Cameta has a store on ebay and they seem to have pretty good prices so I would check them out. Their feedback is pretty good also.
 
I bought my 100-300mm f4 and both of my teleconverters from different vendors on e-bay. I had no problem with any of them and got whopping good deals (they were all mint ... the lens cost me all of $500).

I have had a couple of sour e-bay transactions in the distant past, but not with photographic stuff.

Ian
 
I buy... everything off of ebay other then clothes. If your careful, then you'll be fine. I bought my D200 off of ebay, my 18-200VR, my backpack and a ton of other things ranging from car parts to military medals. Ebay is fine as long as you are careful. I think the best way to shop on ebay, is to be frugal and very cautious. If your cautious, then you'll be fine.
Chris
 
Also, if there is a store or website name, go to www.resellerratings.com and input the name there to see what other buyers rate them.

Adorama has an 8.04 lifetime rating, and Broadway Photo has a 1.18 lifetime rating!

It definitely pays to do your homework!
 
I do alot of transactions on Ebay. Buying & Selling. I purchased a DV Canon ZR 950 camera from ebay. I made sure that the seller had a good feedback. I currently have a
Chinon CM-5 SLR 35mm Camera with Lens/Flash & more on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...PageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=012#ebayphotohosting
b281_1.JPG
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cameta has a store on ebay and they seem to have pretty good prices so I would check them out. Their feedback is pretty good also.


A guy I know got a few lenses off cameta for a good price.
I'm currently looking at maybe getting a 40D off them.
 
I just bought a 5D from Amazon.com and it went smooth! I prefer to make a purchase pike this from a qualified dealer, having the full warranty and all that.
 
I bought my Canon SD630 used on ebay from a private seller. It was a great deal and the camera and all accessories worked (and still work) great. I would be careful about buying electronics (especially cameras) from the big Hong Kong sellers on ebay. I've bought batteries and little things from them (not memory cards though - I get those through amazon) but I wouldn't risk getting a bad camera from them. I got my D40 and FX35 through the vendors on Amazon.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom