What's new

Is it safe to buy a camera (60D) from eBay?

koofa

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 15, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
Mid-West Coast
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know if this is the right forum to post this in, but I'm buying my first DSLR.. I really want the 60D, but can probably only afford it if I get it off of eBay or something similar (about $900 or so - maybe a tiny bit more - is my budget total, and I have to be able to get at least one lens with it). I might just end up having to settle with the T3i, but I don't want to now. Anyway, I've seen that there are import models and whatnot that aren't initially from the U.S.. lots of the sellers on eBay have just a little stock ad photo of the camera naming the kit lens that they're including in it.. so most of the initial stock photos are the same you see on the search page are the same. A lot of them come from NY.. I just don't know. They all say they're USA models, but I just don't know. They all have good feedback if you look at the numbers, but they all still have some negative, and I feel like people these days don't know any better anyway because they're so naive - a lot leave positive feedback anyway, not realizing what they got (with bootleg or import anything), so.. has anyone had any experience buying a camera like this from a larger seller?
 
If you are going to buy it new, I'd suggest buying from a local store. Maybe find one that will price match, then find the lowest price (from an actual store) and have them match it.

If that isn't a good option for you, then I'd suggest sticking to the biggest & best photography stores; B&H or Adorama. If you find a price that is lower than theirs, I'd be wary.

To save money, you might consider a used camera. E-Bay would be a place to look for a used camera, but you will seldom find a great deal on there anymore. You might check your local classifieds / Craig's list etc.
 
Generally I follow the principle that if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. Tread carefully. On a more positive note, every trader no matter how big or small on ebay or anywhere will have some negative feedback or some less than perfect ratings. I'd be even more suspicious about a completely perfect rating as there is no such thing as a perfect company.
 
I bought my camera from eBay. I also just recently bought a very nice lens for 1/3 the price. Both were used, but came from very positively rated sellers. They were both photographers from the US and each stated they were upgrading as the reason for selling. All you have to do is check their ratings. I'm iffy about buying used lenses since most of the time they're being sold due to scratches or it being a bad copy, but I saw that the guy had been selling his old gear as he purchased new, higher end items. I recommend buying used if you can get enough assurance that what you'll get isn't crap.
 
I've had ZERO issues with reputable camera stores that also have an ebay store. National Camera Exchange, for example, sold me this light at pennies on the dollar. It came quickly, and they also offered a 30 day refund if i didn't like it for any reason. Personally I've had great luck with both ebay and Craigslist and haven't spend near what I should've on my small student stash of gear.

For this light I contacted them and asked why it is so cheap and they said "its missing the front plastic protective cover" . Totally honest. I bought the cover from BHPHOTO for 11 bux :)

I took this pic of the light playing with triggering from a Vivitar, was neat triggering with something other than a pocketwizard
20111108-DSC_9010.jpg
 
Hmmm.. thanks. Yeah, some of them I do trust, but I just hate the auction format.. Just lost on the first try, but I have a few more that I'm watching. It's just the sellers with like 11,000 feedback and the few negatives they do have just make me wary.. I just won't be bidding on those.. sucks though, because they are a bit cheaper than what you would win with the auctions, but I guess I'll keep trying for a few days or so. If no luck, I'll have to settle for the camera I don't want. :(
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom