Anyone interested in a Black&White Challenge, every other week?

Discussion in 'Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges' started by gk fotografie, Dec 28, 2019.

1. gk fotografie

gk fotografie hora lapsa non redibit Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nope, I've checked everything until 2005 and there's nothing like this.
    Let me launch the first B&W Challenge next Sunday and we'll see if it's easy to find in the photo-assignments-technical-challenges section, I think so. If it really all becomes successful in the year 2020, then perhaps there's something to come up with if this challenge would be hard to find, but it seems to me rather premature to talk about something like that at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Loaded up 6 short rolls (12 ex). Im ready to go. I bought my yearly supply as I have done in the past few years. This year I ordered a 100ft roll of HP5+ along with the TriX, I want to experiment with this film stock in 2020. I bought a 100ft roll of TriX, 2 bricks of FP4 for 120, 2 5pks of ortho 80 120, 5 pack of ortho 80 35, 4 5pks of porta 400 120, 2 5 pks of 35 portra 400. 10 rolls of Ultra max 400 35, and some 120 and 35 of lomography color. That should get me through the year. I also have all the chemicals I need. Just need to buy some paper, I have 200 dollars left to get that, probably kentmere brand.

• Like Like x 3
  3. johngpt

johngpt Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you GK. I'll be checking this thread to see when you say you've posted the new challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos that folks post.
    Out of curiosity I went to Flickr and counted. Out of my last 200 postings, 20% were some form of monochrome.

GK, a question for you regarding parameters of your proposed challenge.
    Are you thinking straight black and white or will your definition be inclusive of sepia toning, cyan toning and other tonings often considered monochrome?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  4. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Just bought 2 packs of black and white Instax film - should make a fun change from digital for any of the challenge that may suit the tiny, slightly blurry images.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gk fotografie

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know, difficult, as long as everyone starts with a black and white positive or negative image as a BASIS before coloring, editing etc., then we are already on the right track.

In art, a work is considered monochrome if the hues are close enough to the human eye, but in fact it doesn't have to be a black and white photo or considered as such, if I photograph a setting sun in color then the shades of yellow-orange are close to each other and you can call this a monochrome, but such a monochrome you can't categorize as black and white photo.

Let me put it this way, whoever wants to give his black and white photos a sepia or blue tint in post or print before scanning, should do so. I want to try to get a nice and not to complicated BLACK & WHITE challenge off the ground, I'd really like it if a few people regularly participate and also want to leave something to the feeling and common sense of the participants.

For an idea I've chosen 4 extreme examples that I find acceptable within the term black and white, perhaps this will help.

vb4.jpg
    vb3.jpg
    vb5.jpg
    vb6.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Today I'm going shooting for this challenge :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. johngpt

johngpt Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ah, seeing the notification that this thread had a new post from Saturday tells me that the first b/w challenge has been created.
    I guess that challenge is already at the second week of its time frame.

8. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Still in the first challenge stage - the Hipster film users needed time to get their chemistry sets out. :)

Some fascinating sets so far ..... ends on the 18th. Current theme 'modern architecture'.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gk fotografie

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was in hospital for 5 days and just before my admission on Saturday, January 4, I launched this new challenge to be on the safe side, not knowing how many days I'd to stay in hospital. You may have missed the thread about accidentally moving the Black & White Challenge, but from now on the fixed location of this challenge is FORUM: Foundations of Photography - Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges (as is the case with the Weekly Challenge, you can recognize the most recent challenge by the date in the title of the thread), the next challenge will be held from January 19, 2020.

10. smithdan

smithdan No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Fully intended to join in from the start, tested, loaded and bagged up my 55 year old Spotmatic in honour of the occasion.

This early 20th century village doesn't offer any modern architecture, suitable subjects 1 hour north. -17c not only hard on the fingers but apparently Spot decided to get all squinty eyed with a stuck shutter. Film wound on and mirror flopped so all seemed well. Final few frames shot at indoor temps ok.

Enjoying seeing other's work for this challenge.

For the next challenge, frogs around here are patiently waiting for Spring so I may have to get creative.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think it’s frog perspective, not frogs... I mean, if you have a picture of a frog, that'd be cool, but I think it’s frog perspective.

12. smithdan

smithdan No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Yes, it is Wade, misquote on my part. I took it to mean Frog's eye view or suchlike.

• Like Like x 1